goldfish life spans

wrs

Michelle's Hot
Reaction score
2 of my friends had goldfish for 7 years. do they really live that long?? these were the cheep kida, like the $.28 ones

A goldfish can live for 45 years! Don't keep them in the bowls or small tanks (20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 for every aditional one) because that only afords them a slow and painful, painful death, Truely only a horrid person would give a goldfish such a bad life after hearing what I have just told you.

lol, i need to get a pond. i only have 1 though

Goldfish average life span in the correct conditions is 20-30 years, and the current world record holder was a Goldfish from Yorkshire England at 47 years of age.

I am curious for an answer to this question as well. I understand that comets, shubunkins, etc would live that long, but how about fancys? I have a red telescope and two fantails. Had a black moor until this morning... Are they that as long-lived as "normal" goldfish?

mhoward1999 said:
I am curious for an answer to this question as well. I understand that comets, shubunkins, etc would live that long, but how about fancys? I have a red telescope and two fantails. Had a black moor until this morning... Are they that as long-lived as "normal" goldfish?
Fancies aren't as long lived as they have to cope with the pressures of difficult swimming etc.

all goldfish are in someway related to the carp family ,ive heard of some koi living for 50 years or so ,the black moor i had mhoward1999 was huge before i got rid of it and id had that for 10 years my biggest goldfish jaws wieghed in at 3-1/21bs when he outgrew the 4 ft tank and he was 15

bribones said:
all goldfish are in someway related to the carp family ,ive heard of some koi living for 50 years or so ,the black moor i had mhoward1999 was huge before i got rid of it and id had that for 10 years my biggest goldfish jaws wieghed in at 3-1/21bs when he outgrew the 4 ft tank and he was 15
Check out my post on the 226 year old Koi. Koi have been well known to live for 100 years +.

Ryan said:
Goldfish average life span in the correct conditions is 20-30 years

I really want to say, that I think avg. life span is only few months :-( Most of them die during few weeks or so, because they are kept bowls etc..

But yes, normal goldfish can live decades, 15 years easily.

mrV said:
Ryan said:
Goldfish average life span  in the correct conditions is 20-30 years

I really want to say, that I think avg. life span is only few months :-( Most of them die during few weeks or so, because they are kept bowls etc..

But yes, normal goldfish can live decades, 15 years easily.
Sad but true. It is a very distressing sight to see a 4-5" Goldfish swimming around in a small 7-10" bowl for life with no water changes or care other than feeding.

...and all because of ignorance! I wouldn't have known if I hadn't researched to be sure I was doing the right things. Common "knowledge" is that goldfish are for kids and thrive in bowls. :crazy: It really is sad!!! I wonder how many people would continue the practice of keeping goldfish in small containers if they knew what we know? :dunno:

i put mine in a .5 gallon bowl for 30 minutes once because it was being eaten and it died.

Most reactions

Back