Goldfish In A Small Container

Gazoo

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
723
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Michigan - The Great Lake State
Before you knew better, did you ever keep a goldfish (or other fish) in too small of a container because you thought is was OK to do?

As a child, I had a common in a bowl in my bedroom and (of course) it didn't last very long. I remember getting mad at the cloudy water. Pretty silly huh? Since then, as I've learned more about fish, I've persuaded many friends in not making the same mistake my parents made.

I now find it amazing how I assumed that fish don't live for a long time.
 
My goldfish have a 40 litre 2 fancy ones they have it to theirselves, the fish are my daughters and i kind of frown upon on them as been a bit of a waste of tank as im not keen on goldfish, she likes them thought and im not allowed to give them away so i guess they can stay
 
I had a comet, a golden orfe and a black moor in a 15 gallon about 3 years ago :sad: . But then I was informed of the stunting issues and size of the adult fish and rehomed them at once. I'm using the 15 gallon for plants , a betta and a bullied and stressed female krib soon.
 
I used to have a tank about 2 foot, in which I kept about 8 fancy goldfish and 6 minnows.

I couldn't understand why they kept dying off :rolleyes:

Also every couple of months I used to wash the gravel and the filter sponge in tap water. :blush:
 
I kept two Black Moor and two Goldfish in a 25G tank about 11 years ago when my girls were nippers.
They took it upon themselves to feed them one day, which involved a whole pot of fish food and a tube of Smarties!
No surprises when I say they didn't survive. :(
 
My very first tank was about 15 litres and i had 4 fancy goldfish in it. :/

Needless to say they didn't last. I didn't cycle it either, didn't know what cycling was!
 
I had two coldwater fish, Think one was gold and the other one was some sort of goldfish, both fantails i think and the tank was about 10-20 Litres, NO light No filter, No water Coniditioner, Just use to throw out the water and fill it up again....came back one day and one was dead then came back another day and one seemed to of exploded..

I was about 8 by the way XD
 
I won a goldfish at the fair once. It died overnight. :(

I used to have a ten gallon that my dad managed when I was 6. I had two bala sharks, a iridescent shark, and two rainbowfish.

Surprisingly, they lived for about a year until the heater malfunctioned. BZRTT. :rip:
 
i had 5 goldfish in a 2'x1'x1' when i was about 10. No filter, just an airstone, 100% water change with tap water every few months when the glass got covered in algae, fish were chucked in the bath whilst this was carried out
they actually lasted a surprisingly long time, i had them a good 5 years or so
 
I had 2 goldfish in a 15gal tank. They lived in there for about 5 years, and have now lived in a 100gal pond for 10 years, and still going strong! :good:
 
This reminds me of the time that someone brought two goldfish into school using a water bottle...
 
I used to have 2 fish in a bowl that i won from church. They lived a while, prob 6 months ( i think). Then i set up a 30g which my dad used to have in his office when he was a pastor, and put 6 goldfish in there. They lasted a while, then i switched to tropical and started learning from then. That was when i was 4, around 10 years ago!
 
I actually have a friend who has what looks to be a common gold fish in a 1 gallon bowl with no aeration... It can't swim very well, and the water is cloudy, but it is supposedly 4 years old! Poor thing... :(
 
I have some friends that won a Goldie at a fair, expected it to die in a day, and when it didn't never bothered to get a better tank. It lived in a little smallworld bowl, which was seriously about 8"x 3"x5" Less than one gallon for sure... They would change the water when it started to float sideways (it certainly couldn't swim). A 10 gallon aquarium from WalMart would have been a VAST improvement although many would say that's still too small. It suffered in that bowl for about 3 years before finally succombing to its torture.

Every time I saw it, I got angry but couldn't really say much about it.

RIP little guy.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top