The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi!
I decided to start a new thread because this was on a different topic than my last one (In my opinion).
Anyway, I was hoping to house a black moor in a 20 gal tank. However, this tank is currently occupied by platy fry and a female.
As much as I love them, I would rather give them to someone who wants them, but I haven’t found anyone, though I’m not really attached to these fish.
I realize that a goldfish and some platys have different requirements, but I’m not at all set on having platys as much as I am goldfish.
Would a goldfish eat the platy fry in the tank if it was put in there? Would it potentially harm the female? Will the female and fry overcrowd the tank?
Sounds harsh, but I would be ok if the goldfish ate the fry, it may be better that way.
Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Goldfish and livebearers do well in the same water chemistry (GH around 200ppm and pH above 7.0).

Temperature can be an issue but if the water is around 24C it should be fine for both species.

Goldfish will eat baby fish but if the goldfish is small (and it should be because the tank is small), and you feed it well, then the baby platies might not get eaten. If you have lots of plants in the tank it will give the babies plenty of hiding places and they will be safer.

------------------------
If you have baby fish or unwanted fish, call your local pet shop and ask them if they want the fish. Shops don't pay for babies but good shops will take them and put them in plant tanks to grow up. If you have adult fish that you don't want, some shops will give you a store credit or cash for the fish. Credit is about 1/2 retail price and cash is less (around 1/3 retail price).

But if you contact a petshop and say "I've got a female platy and 12 babies that I no longer want, Do you want them?" The shops usually say yes. You might even get some credit for the mother and that can go towards the goldfish.

Thank you! I will look into asking a nearby store. If for whatever reason they cannot/do not take them, would it be a big deal if the platy were to stay in the tank with the goldfish if they got equal care?
I don’t want to overcrowd, that was a main reason I was looking to give away some fish, but if it’s not harmful, I’d be ok if they stayed.

I have kept livebearers and fantail goldfish together and they were fine. I have also kept fantail goldfish with rainbowfish, barbs, gouramis and a variety of other peaceful fishes. As long as there is room for the fish and the conditions are good, they should be fine together.

Alrighty, I’ll leave them for now and ask the store.
Thank you!

Would it be dangerous for the fish for the tank to go from tropical temps to Coldwater temps by taking out the heater?
It usually stays around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, the room it’s in is at 70 degrees fahrenheit.
Thanks!

a 10degree F drop would be too much if it happened overnight. If you reduce the temperature over a week it would be better for the fish. But don't take it too low. Lower the temperature to 24C (75F) and it will be fine for the platies and goldfish.

Alrighty! If I turned down the heater (I believe I can) to 75 degrees fahrenheit, making it about a 5 degree difference, is that still too dangerous?

Ok, that’s fine.
Thank you

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this one. I’m a firm believer that goldfish should never be in with tropical fish. Fancy goldfish swim too slow and will be picked at by faster swimming fish. At the same time, goldies will eat anything that can go in there mouths. I believe you wanted a black moor. This spells disaster with their large eyes. Moor’s have terrible eyesight and won’t be able to compete for food. There is also a great chance that it’s eyes will be damaged by faster fish. Please don’t do this!

We agree to disagree :)

Platies aren't renown as aggressive fish or bully fish and I personally think it would be ok. The choice is up to the OP. If they get a goldfish and find the platy is picking on it (unlikely but it might), they can get rid of the platy like they were going to do originally. If they get along then they can keep them together. :)

I see where both points are coming from and I appreciate hearing both sides of the argument.
I contacted the store and they said they could take the fish, which I will most likely do, not because I don’t think they’d get along, but mostly because I want as much room as possible for the goldfish and I don’t want to risk it, also because the gravel is quite large, any fry can hide in it and they end up getting bigger that I’d want to move them but I can’t (the whole reason for getting rid of the fish was because the tank was overrun by platy fry).
I’ll be going to the lfs this weekend so I’ll have everything sorted out then.
Thanks!

Have fun. Hope you get a really nice looking one!

Thank you! I hope so too! I’m so excited!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back