Golden Wonder Set Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks spike! I aimed it at the back of the tank, and now the fish are fine. When it was directed into the tank, they used to stay at the lower half of the tank, now they are back up where they belong. Plus that one female is getting eggy. Also a good sign :good:

I added 2 spawning mops today and I saw an immediate change in behaviour of all fish! First of all, the small killi, which I suspected to be a suppressed male, coloured up and is actively trying to get a female to 'his' spawning mop. The larger male has positioned himself under the spawning mop (almost at the bottom) and is wiggling back and forth (without a female though).

Then the cories went nuts and are suddently all over the tank, chasing each other, going up and down, actively sifting the sand etc. etc.

I hope these are all positive signs of spawning, and I have the magnifier glass ready to see if any eggs start appearing on the spawning mops...

Until now little is happening in the tank. The dominant male is not moving at all, although it seems that the females are ready. The little male (I am now sure he is one, has brightened up his colours) is working is a... off to persuade a female to go into the spawning mop but with little success so far.

The lfs that had promised to get me frozen tubifex and live artemia from Mexico city, has not delivered and will not until the weekend (is not even sure then), so it is difficult to condition them with live foods. All I have currently are dried tubifex and dried mosquito larvae. Sometimes I have the time to go hunting ants, but I have only found the small ones and it takes quite a lot of time to get a decent amount...

I found a very good source for ants, big ones, so I spend some time yesterday afternoon to go hunting. I got home with an amount worth of 3 days of food. But guess what? They don't like them! I think they consider them to be too hard as these ants have more 'armour' than the small ones.

I fed them to my congos and they ate them initially, but now they don't want them either. And my angels which are normally very keen on anything that is food, didn't even look!

So, back at square one regarding live food. I have enough live food for fry, but need larger stuff to condition my fish for breeding.

Intresting that my trio seem very different to your GWP, Spike123, as my "teenagers" (~7cm SL) love current surfing in the 5-footer, pro-actively swimming to the front of the tank in full view of the ~2000lph current provided by the Fluval FX5 (now with the double outpipe on its side, effectively stacking the nossles on top of each other).

My one surviving fry from a surprise trio born about three months ago is approaching 4cm long (still very slender), very tempted to let him loose in the Rio240 soon and out of the breeder net. From what I've read, if it is a male (looks it with colouring), adding him to the trio would be a bad idea as "dad" will probably kill him off?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back