Golden Gouramis Fighting (new Keeper Please Help)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tune29

Reaction score
I have set up a 60 litre tank 4 wks ago and added X2 platies, X6 Neons and yesterday i added X2 Golden Gouramis.

The larger one started chasing the other around and bullied him all day and night so i took the bully back to the pet shop.
They gave me another one as a replacement but now the one getting bullied yesterday has started bullying the new one even worse
than the one did yesterday.

What am i doing wrong?

Please help as i want to keep these together if i can. Are they just geting used to each other or playing?
it looks like the bully is tring to nip his fins though and i would be gutted if they get hurt.

Please Help

Rob

i think, it might just them them establishing a pecking order, especailly if they are both males

it sounds like they are both males. i've had this type of fish before and i was lucky to have one female and one male. but once the female died, he was crazy. killed one of my angels :( i separated him into another tank. but soon gave him away cause he kept on nipping at my fish's fins.
these fish are semi-aggressive and grow up to six inches. i find that if you are going to keep two of them, in a 15 gallon (60 liters) is a tiny bit to small, and the territory for them to establish ... they will be fighting. and you have other fish as well with them..

if you want gourami's then i would suggest a smaller breed. the powder blue gourami's are very nice, from all of the ones that i have ever kept, and still keeping they do not fight with each other, nor with other fish. sometimes they will flare up at each other, but never aggressively.

You're not doing anything wrong, necessarily. Three spot gouramis (otherwise known as blue, opaline, platinum, or gold) just don't like each other unless there are plenty of ladies to go around. You're tank is on the small end for 1, none the less 3+ though. I'm gonna back up berryattack on looking for a smaller breed.

Dwarf gouramis (usually labeled as dwarf, flame, or powder blue) are really overbred and prone to genetic deformities that can cause issues with overall hardiness. I'd reccomend honey gouramis or sparkling gouramis if you can source some.

i will take them back to the shop tomorow, ill look for some that are not so aggresive.

If i keep one will he be ok with my neons and X2 platies? he has ignored them so far.

Rob

Nope. He'll eventually eat those Neons, no doubt. He's too big for you tank, really. Get a nice group of Honey Gouramis. They're much nicer characters, and just as interesting and beautiful as their bigger relatives.

ive got 2 honey gouramis instead yeserday. Thanks god, Panick over. No fighs now.
Thanks

If you did want golden gouramis then go head Rob. Gouramis fight quite alot usually especially when you've only had them for a few days or more. Trust me I use to have gouramis and they when the started fighting I thought one would kill the other!!! If you do get them agian do not worry about the fighting. Also I'm not saying to get rid of the honey gouramis, I'm just saying in future not to worry if you get some golden gourami.

Hope this helped,
Fishyfish890

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back