Gold Rams

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mike777

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday I bought a pair of gold rams. I first put them in the 55 gallon but they were getting picked on so this morning I cleaned my 20 gallon (algae scrape, syphon, water change and got algae off plants and decor) and moved all the fish from the 20 into the 55 and then I moved the rams into the 20. They already laid eggs at the lfs but is that too much drama so that they won't lay eggs again? :sad: I appreciate any help or opinions thanks! :)

BTW if you guys have any general info about rams I need help thanks again! :thumbs:

Golden Rams like specific tank conditions (just like most new world dwarf cichlids): temperature should be in the mid to high 70's (F), pH 5.0-7.0, dH 5-12. Some dwarf cichlid owners consider it a necessity to stay away from tap water, rather using ionized water or distilled water. Since rams are omnivores it is smart idea to give them a variety of foods including plant matter or algae waffers and live or frozen foods (brine shrimp and bloodworms are favorites of mine). There are also flakes and pellets especially formulated for dwarf cichlids out there, I personally have never used them though. Gold rams are beautiful fish and you will no doubt have alot of fun watching them, but for good results in breeding you should place a something flat (like a flat rock) in the tank so you can remove the eggs if they do indeed mate again. Rams have a reputation for devouring their first few batches of eggs they lay, after that time they are usually exceptional parents (of course taking out the first batches of eggs may prolong the development of their good parenting skills). If at all possible also put in some amazon sword plants (alive or fake- they still like them alot). Sorry for carrying on so much but Rams are my favorite fish out there.

No problem, thanks for your help! I'm feeding mine shrimp pellets and they seem to like them. They are very very shy though, anytime they see me they go huddle into a corner behind a plant. Are they normally shy like that? :) Thanks

Rams start off very shy when introduced to a new tank (especially if there are already other dwarf cichlids in the tank). After a few weeks they will become more familiar with their settings. Initially pairs of rams usually swim together (even if they are of the same sex) when introduced to a new environment, but I have noticed that once situated they will become more aggressive towards one another.

I have 4 cichlid tanks currently set up. I recently purchased 3 pairs of Golden rams. However, I have never had cichlids be quite show shy before. Usually they divide territories up within the first week or so. I want to have a species specific tank, but I am contemplating purchasing dithers. What are your thoughts?

i love my gold rams , they are so nosy and inqusitive , they will swim around my hand when im doing tank maintainace etc. very very cool fish , and also very beautiful. if they are an established pair then im sure they will spawn again for you once they are settled and happy .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back