Going Away For 32 Days Over Summer, What Should I Do About Feeds?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sweeden

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Basically as title really 

Ive looked at auto feeders but they are for open topped tanks, which mine isn't

My mum isnt the most reliable person to help out but she will remember maybe dropping a weekly tablet in.

However will this mean my RCS get overfed?

Help and opinions welcomed/

Give your mum a calendar or timetable for feeding, and warn her of the consequences if the fish arent fed.

You COULD use the auto feeders, but am not a big fan of them, as things can go wrong too easily.

Best with a family member or friend who can come in to do water change and feeding.

Putting out correct feed amounts in pill boxes or small containers of sorts will ensure not fed any more than the amount you dose, and write a daily list of things to be done, keep it simple.

Pill boxes Is a good idea, and I could put an alarm in my room too.

Water change wise I'll have to do a large change before I go. and ask if she'll do one after 2 weeks of me being away.

I've had a bad experience with letting friends watch my fish, especially if they don't know your fish well (they can tell when one's missing). However, I dont have any new ideas besides calling your mom occasionally to remind her.
Dunno.gif

Can you detail how big the tank is, and what the stocking is? This can help us give you a much more specific answer. You mentioned RCS? If they're the only things in the tank things will be less complicated as they don't eat much

Sweeden said:
Pill boxes Is a good idea, and I could put an alarm in my room too.

Water change wise I'll have to do a large change before I go. and ask if she'll do one after 2 weeks of me being away.
Thats what I would suggest, just simply measure our the food for each day for the 32 days to 1 feed per day and if you mother is tech savy and has a smartphone our a mobile set an alarm to go of once a day at say between 6-8 pm

If you only have rcs a weekly feeding could be an ok thing to do. mine survived for 2 months without food back then when I went away to Malaysia. they pretty lived on the algae in my tank

Buy a heap of inexpensive plants, the fish will demolish them if they get hungry enough. Mine destroyed a whole heap of hygrophila one trip. Not an option for all fish though.

If its a small tank with just RCS, leaving it in a sunny room will produce enough algae for them to live on while you're gone. Just have your mom do a water change once and a 2 feedings they'll be ok. The population might decrease a little but it'll recover in no time when you return!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back