'glowlight' zebra danios

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
juanveldez said:
I think that someone needs to read the rules of this forum a little bit more closely. Paul no matter what your feelings are on these fish to flame them here is not tolerated.
No flaming was intended, If it has come out that
way then I scincerly applogise.

For all those that wish to learn more about glowfish(tm)
go to their website www.glowfish.com you can read about the
reasons they were created, the process etc.
then you can make up your own opinions and not post them here.

Yea, I wish (to name the lfs that sells these fish) Aquarium Services Outlet in Kitchener would stop selling them. I also saw them at a fish auction last week!

None of the stores in AK can find them :( .

I agree that they are a hybrid because a hybrid is simply a mix between two or more species. How much of each never enters the equation

in this case they are not a hybird as only part of the genitic make up of the jelly fish was used more spcifically the gene that makes them glow. I do however feel that this is the right forum to discuss Genteically Engineered fish as they are called.

The-Wolf said:
For all those that wish to learn more about glowfish(tm)
go to their website glowfish.com you can read about the
reasons they were created, the process etc.
then you can make up your own opinions and not post them here.
Actually it's http://www.glofish.com (glowfish is just a re-direct) and to those who don't know, there are actually two strains of glo-fish. One has the jellyfish gene, the other has I think a gene from a species of coral, and it's yellowish to the red of the current jellyfish modification. As to their "abomination" status, I'd hardly call them abominable in light of other human experiments with genetics and probably one of the lesser dangerous ones.

Up to 5? I knew of 2 and possibly a 3rd but already 5? I also got them backwards, the green gene is the jellyfish and the red is the coral gene.

No I think you got it right the first time. Other flourascent zebra danios have different genetic origins but as far as the different glofish there are red, purple, blue, green, and yellow and then I suppose various hybrids of those aswell.

On the glofish site, it said the red genes were from a coral and the green from the jellyfish. The only pdf files I see there are about the environmental impacts they might or might not cause, nothing on the color variants.

I do believe that the info is in the nUS study on zebra fish viability but I havent read it in a while and for some reason I cant reach the host to download a new copy. :dunno:

No, the genes were inserted during the embryonic stage of their great, great great. etc. parents and the current strains all have the gene which causes them no harm or discomfort, just makes them glow.

Does the melanin in a blackmans skin cause him pain?

The extra protien does drain some of the bodys energy reserves but not a significant amount my glofish is my fattest happiest healtyest fish by far. :flex:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back