Glowlight Tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juliehainsworth

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok I think my female glowlights are nearly ready to spawn as they have suddenly got alot fatter than they were previously. Is there anything I can do to encourage them to spawn or should I just let nature take its course in my community tank

In my experience they will breed readily without any intervention. If you breed them in a community setup you will be extremely luck to have any eggs last more than a minute or so. Any tetra not involved in the breeding will hoover up the eggs by following the breeding fish around and eating any eggs they see. Spawning usually happens in the early morning at first light although mine have spawned midday and early evening too. A few males will chase a female around in a fairly frantic manner. The female will end up being chassd into a thicket of plants and will wait for a male to position itself next to her. She will then barrel-roll and eject eggs in a small spurt. The eggs will just fall to the bottom (or more likely get eaten). Apparently the eggs are light sensitive and will be destroyed if exposed to the light. There are many articles on glowlight tetra breeding on the web. Just do a search and you'll find something.

Hope that helps.

WK

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back