GloFish stocking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RobGlower

Reaction score
Okay I have been vastly studying Glowfish I have a 20 gal long, considering the following: 5 Tetra Longfins, (Considering+5 Tetra) 3 Glo Corys and a amino shrimp maybe 2. What real plants would work under blue/blacklight or should I get something like spot lights. I am told Max 10 but I also know that sometimes swimmers and bottoms separate and could be okay? There is differences of opinion on this too. In the least case scenario 5 longfin 5 cory and 1-2 Aminos. Now I have an underwater Aerator Fountain So the minimal option might be best. What is your opinion?

Both tetras and cories are shoaling fish so you need at least 10 tetras and at least 10 cories. Shoaling fish need a group of their own species; 5 of each does not make a shoal of 10, it's 2 groups of 5.

I have no idea about blacklight and plants. Plants need several hours of light with a spectrum around 6500K, I'm not sure that a black light would provide what they need. Plants need red light in the spectrum, blue light alone is not enough. However algae can use blue light and using blue would inhibit the plants but allow algae to grow well.

@Essjay is correct. Space in a 20g long is very limited, though it is a good size tank for the right fish. The cories would be OK if you have sand substrate, and in a group of around 10 (8 or 9 or 11 or 12).

The longfin tetras-- what species is this? They may or may not work, depending.

The Glofish the same, there are Black Widow Glofish that get large, and there are danio species subjected to this treatment. Most of us concur that no one should acquire "glo" fish, it only perpetuates unfortunate and often even more debilitating treatments of fish.

As for the light, blacklight is harmful to fish. Blue is not sufficient for higher plants and will encourage algae, but the colour does impact fish which have extraordinary colour perception.

Most reactions

Back