Glass tank covers... is condensation normal?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI folks... I recently upgraded my betta Betsy's tank to a frameless glass cube. Thing is, while I liked the fact it came with both a leveling mat AND glass lid, I am finding that the underside of the lid has a lot of condensation under it. Is this normal? Will it lead to staining and/or mold? So far I haven't read anything about this issue. Everyone's tanks always look so "perfect"! ;-)

My 60L cube has a glass lid. I always have condensation (especially after a cold night) and has never been a problem or caused anything. The one thing I do, if there's a large amount of droplets on the glass, is just tilt it to an angle for it to run off back into the tank. The same goes for my 90L which has a polycarbonate sheet for a lid.

I get condensation on mine- when I prune the tank I'll pull them off (there are 2, separated by a support in the middle) and lay them down on a towel. Before I put them back, I wipe both sides down to remove anything on them that would dim the amount of light getting through- usually it's on the top side- drops that dried and left those white circles.

Condensation? Always, especially in heated tanks. it falls back in - better on the lid than in the house, unless the house has a dryness issue.
Agreed. As long as the tank water is warmer than the surrounding air, you're going to get some condensation, and that only becomes more true with each degree of difference

I figured it was perfectly normal, but wanted to check with other peeps, just in case ;-)

Most reactions

Back