Girlfriend Gave The "go" For A Shrimp Only Tank! :d

mine has interests in it...but not enough to actually do it, he keeps being very tempted to buy an elephant eared betta, and has more than once said if he had a tank he'd get as many transparent fish as he could find for it.  I just don't always want to have to share my tank because then he fills it with fish he wants and soon enough I don't have any!

Hehe , it's starting to be an interesting topic!

Ch4rlie, my main goal would be to breed my shrimp to SSS grade!

After much reading, I'm now considering the Crystal Red, they are easily found, don't cost that much and would be a good way to make extra money from my LFS.

with the beta, does he chase the shrimp. usually shrimp will hid because they are being chased and or do not find it safe yet because of the new comer. IMO you can watch the beta and see if he is chasing them, if so then it is no good. but on the other hand if you see no chasing, are the numbers large enough to allow them some kind of protective feeling.. you know like schooling fish.. 
if there is no chasing then you can always keep the tank you have now and just bump up the numbers to say 10 cherries, if you don't already do then add in other breeds of shrimp that you have chosen.
as long as the environment is allowing enough hiding spots and coverage throughout the tank without being overwhelming for you then you should see your shrimp more. 
also if you add in shrimp pellets for feeding.. as they do not catch the flakes or w.e in time they should come out more.

but if you are keen on getting another tank for shrimp only, then all the best and do a planted tank :D

you can mix the cardinals and neocardinas and you won't get any interbreeding, fyi   just don't add multiple colors of neos together or cardinals together or they will get yucky looking after a while

I've heard other people on these forums say their shrimps were hunted til extinction by their bettas.
no.gif

My only advise about shrimps would be to stick to one color morph. A lot of shrimps on the market are the same species and will interbreed with your RCS. It might be possible that your fish might get sick and the medicine isn't appropriate for inverts, if you dont have a hospital tank that might mean incubating all of the shrimps in one tank.

I already have 10+ Cherries in there and have witnessed my Betta hunting the shrimp more than once!
He's quite sneaky!

It must have been the Christmas spirit, my wife has no interest in my 200l

I told her i fancied a small shrimp tank and she was totally up for it!!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back