Giant Gourami not eating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RanVan

Reaction score
I have a four year old Giant Gourami that will sporadically eat. I have tried feeding her (I think) different types of foods including pellets, crickets, peas, and freeze dried krill. She will eat some of them once in awhile. Then she decides not to eat. This has been going on for a year or so.

The question is...how often do GGs eat? Is this normal?

Outside of that she acts normal. She lives in a 220 gallon tank by herself. It has two Fluval heaters that keep the temps at around 83. The filtration is two Fluval FX6s. I do a 50% (or more) water change once a week.

Anyone got ideas?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

All fish normally eat whenever food is available. If the water quality is good and the problem has been going on for a year, then it is probably something to do with the food being offered. Try offering frozen (but defrosted) foods like prawn/ shrimp and fish. Try soaking the dry food before feeding.

Make sure the crickets are free of chemicals and are soft when feeding them. If you feed live crickets that have not shed their skin in the last few hours, they can damage the fish's throat and digestive tract with their hard legs. If the fish chews its food it is not an issue but if the fish swallows live crickets it could be a problem.

Reduce the temperature to 79F

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

All fish normally eat whenever food is available. If the water quality is good and the problem has been going on for a year, then it is probably something to do with the food being offered. Try offering frozen (but defrosted) foods like prawn/ shrimp and fish. Try soaking the dry food before feeding.

Make sure the crickets are free of chemicals and are soft when feeding them. If you feed live crickets that have not shed their skin in the last few hours, they can damage the fish's throat and digestive tract with their hard legs. If the fish chews its food it is not an issue but if the fish swallows live crickets it could be a problem.

Reduce the temperature to 79F

Thank you. I will try that. The crickets that I have fed are usually frozen. The peas are also frozen. Maybe some frozen/defrosted fish will work too. I will see if it makes a difference if I wait until thawed. And I will turn down the temp too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back