Ghost shrimp questions..

Koda

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi...

I'm wondering if ghost shrimp need to be quarantined as new fish are,and if so can they just stay in a large bowl? I have two in a 5 gallon tank which is currently home to a single male fancy guppy.However,I would like to keep a few in my cool water tank as well.This houses a koi and a calico fantail who will eventually outgrow it.I think they may consider the shrimp as snacks but the shrimp seem adept at hiding.And if they do get eaten,they are an inexpensive treat...right?

I do enjoy watching them and wouldn't mind having a bit of a colony in the tank.

Thanks...

Koda

Koda said:
Hi...

I'm wondering if ghost shrimp need to be quarantined as new fish are,and if so can they just stay in a large bowl? I have two in a 5 gallon tank which is currently home to a single male fancy guppy.However,I would like to keep a few in my cool water tank as well.This houses a koi and a calico fantail who will eventually outgrow it.I think they may consider the shrimp as snacks but the shrimp seem adept at hiding.And if they do get eaten,they are an inexpensive treat...right?

I do enjoy watching them and wouldn't mind having a bit of a colony in the tank.

Thanks...

Koda
if you plan for them to be food (as I do when I buy them 5 for .99) I don't quarantine them but I'm also not sure if invertabrates are suspect to ick. either way they may be adept at hiding but they're not adept enough my oscar (3.5") finishes off 10 of them in a few hours.

The goldfish will probably eat them but they will be safe with the guppy. :thumbs:

RobbieM said:
are ghost shrimp the same as algea eating shrimps?
No - ghost shrimp are bottom feeders, not algae eaters. Algae shrimp are generally more expensive than ghost shrimp. I think the most common algae-eating shrimp are Amano shrimp.

Anyway, here's a good link for algae eating shrimp info: http://users.skynet.be/caridina-japonica/

Most reactions

Back