Ghost Shrimp Changing Color

Aroc2226

Reaction score
My wife has wanted shrimp in our 29 gallon tank ever since we started it about 5-6 months ago.

We started with Ghost Shrimp since they were the cheapest.

We struggled with the first few as they all died within a week or so. I had some issues with the tank that I believe I have taken care of.

So we picked up a few more about a month ago. They seem to be doing well except for the last few days I’ve noticed they are becoming less transparent…more of an opaque. Is this age related? Is there something else going on?

Thanks for your time

Here is a pic

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpeg
    IMG_3031.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 29
Ghost, grass, glass shrimp (all the same thing) are usually sold as feeders (that's why they are the "cheapest), and do not receive the best care at the shops

Many times they are diseased....and many times, other shrimp are mixed in with what the shop sells as "ghost" shrimp, and those shrimp can be detrimental to other tank inhabitants ("whisker" shrimp, for example, are aggressive, see here: https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/whisker-shrimp/)

As for the color change, could be a number of things....disease, parasites, acclimating to new water params, etc

"Most likely, if you notice that your Ghost Shrimp is turning white, it is probably infected with a fungal parasite called vorticella. This fungus starts out at the tip of the nose of the shrimp and spreads itself over the whole body of the shrimp. If your Ghost Shrimp has this parasite, you can expect them to have less energy and appetite."
Source: https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/ghost-shrimp/

I bought some ghost shrimp at my LFS too. As they have aged and grown bigger they have definitely changed color. They are now darker now with a grayish blue hue. I just assume it’s age.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 17
Ghost shrimp don't live very long. Amano shrimp are a nicer option, they live at least 4 years and are great algae munchers!

Most reactions

trending

Back