Ghost Shrimp And Copper

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maryland
How much copper is too much for shrimp? I add fertz for my plants and I read the fertilizer I use has 0.0001% copper. I want to add shrimp. Will they die? I add the recommended amount of fert about once every two weeks.
 
As far as I know most shrimp are really quite sensitive and intolerant of any copper. I wouldn't risk it .
 
Anyone Use Seachem Flourish and have shrimp?

O and are Snails just as intolerant, because I have some of them in there. There fine
 
shrimp will die if there is any copper in the tank even when people introduce plants that have been treated in copper and rinsed off before putting in the tank it wipes out their entire shrimp population
 
That amount of copper should be fine for glass/ ghost shrimp and snails. I have not kept cherry shrimp so can’t comment. As a general rule tho any copper in fertiliser will be a trace amount and that will be diluted into the tank water. So unless you really heavily overdose the tank with fertiliser, it should be fine for them. In fact you probably get more copper in your tank from the water pipes than you will from the fertiliser.
 
I've kept cherry shrimp and I add Seachem Flourish along with some other ferts, and I've never had a problem. My shrimp are doing quite well. I never even thought about that before, I wouldn't even have known that's what had killed them if it had.
 
The copper in most aquarium fertilizers is bound into compounds that the plants will be able to absorb, but wont affect water chemistry.
 
Mikaila did a post about that a while back in a thread in the planted tank forum here which reassured those of us reading it.
Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to go search for it.
But I've been adding Flourish to my shrimp tank ever since with no apparent ill effects.
Actually, I've read about multiple forms of various compounds which are very different in effects: in example, apparently, there's a form of arsenic produced by various plants which is harmless, unlike the type we think of as poisonous.
It's darned hard for those of us who haven't studied chemistry to sort out out what's safe without guidance.
So many related things are lumped into a single category, with the most spectacular effects of one or some of the group attributed to them all.
So many interesting things and, for at least one of us, so little time, so little brain...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top