Ghost Or Cherry Shrimp In My Tank?

RockyRaccoon

New Member
Joined
May 10, 2009
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Will ghost shrimp be alright with a weather loach and six corys? i have plenty of places to hide.


I'm assuming my black neons and pristella tetras wont bother them.
 
The weather loaches will deffo eat the shrimp when full grown.

How big is it?
 
I have had ghost shrimp in my tank,and currently have Amanos and Cherries also. I Have 4 Weatherloaches and not one of them has ever bothered a shrimp. It's the opposite in fact! The shrimp steal wafers from the loaches!

OP - If you still have concerns about the shrimp while they are still small and possibly vulnerable, you could set up a small 2-5 gallon tank to keep them in until they are big enough not to be bothered by anything.

Having lots of plants for them to retreat to is also a good idea. Shrimp can dart around VERY quickly so the chance s of them getting eaten are slim.
 
Going with Esfa on this, most loaches are death with fins to shrimp.

There are exceptions, so maybe it would work like Honeythorn has experienced?
 
Seriously I've never lost one to a Loach. I may just be lucky, I don't know. My Ghost shrimp used to just march up and casually pluck food/wafers/algae tabs right out of their mouths and hotfoot it to the nearest leaf to eat it.
 
What do you mean by ghost shrimp many shrimp species come under this generic name from macrobrachium (evil buggers), palemonetes and some dwarf shrimp?

If they are under 2" long after 1-2 months of keeping them then they are probably dwarfs which can be ok with loaches but depends on the age of the loach when you get it (if older it will eat them and if young and vulnerable it will not bother them).
 
thanks people. i actually changed my mind about shrimp until i saw them at the store for 33 cents. I couldnt pass that up. i got two for the hell of it. but when i got home i noticed that one is missing an eye. yous think he'll be alright?
 
well..if he's not it was only .33...i've heard of fish losing an eye and i think they survived, so maybe the shrimp will.
my lfs has ghost for .12! i'm picking up a few also
 
Feeder shrimp can be machrobrachium so watch their size if they start to develop large visible claws then our smaller fish may be at risk. The eye will grow back after a few molts.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top