Getting Some New Wood

coldcazzie

Ice Queen
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
4,734
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
W.Yorks, UK
A friend of mine is giving me 3 large pieces of wood (not sure of type, will ask her when I see her), which she is no longer using in her tank and has had lying around in her garage for a bit.

How should I clean them? They are way too big to fit in any of my saucepans and be boiled (the biggest is about 16 inches long) so could I just scrub them under a running hose? I have a scrubbing brush that is dedicated to tank-related items, but I'd prob have to buy a new one once using it for this just in case right?

Any ideas welcome!
 
Personally I wouldn't worry about getting a new scrubbing brush, unless you are worried about actually damaging it.
I think under the hose will be fine for 'washing' it, but if you want to reduce the tannins and give it a really good clean then hotter water seems to work well for me. I used a large pan to do mine, but you can also use a bucket and place the wood in it. then fill the bucket with boiling water and leave teh wood in there until the water goes cold, then replace the water. If the wood is too long to do that then just do one end at a time if you can :)
 
Hmm, good idea - not sure how long it's been out of the tank - not long I don't think as it's still damp and she said it wasn't long since she rescaped.

Completely forgot to ask what type of wood they are but don't think she knows as she inherited from her sis. Will try boiling water in a bucket n see what the water is like after.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top