Getting Ready For Corals And Anenomes Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joshjr619

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to hopefully soon add some corals and anenomes to my tank. When buying corals and anenomes should I quarantine them like I would a fish? Or do u just dip them in a solution before adding to the display tank? If I do need to put them in a quarantine tank does that mean I need to put live rock for the anenome to move around on?

Take your time adding corals as they can kill off your tank if they die or just release deadly toxic into the water. Drip your tank water into there bagged water for a good while so it can adjust slowly then add to the tank. Watch the anenome they get use, move around a lot and kill off corals that's I'm it's way.

There are coral dips you can use that will get rid of some bad things, but not all. If the coral is on a frag plug/plate or small piece of other solid material that is easily inspected, then you are probably alright with a dip and careful inspection of the specimen. If the coral is on a more complicated piece of porous rock though with places where things could hide, quarantine is the only way to make sure you don't end up with any crazy stuff. 

I would never dip a healthy anemone even if the dip says it can be used on them; they are easily stressed and don't need more stress added during introduction to a new tank. Usually it's best to stick to one anemone per tank as well as getting a captive-propagated specimen. Doing both of those pretty much eliminates the need for quarantine, assuming the anemone is not attached to a big piece of rock again as above - otherwise you'd still need to quarantine to be absolutely sure that the rock is friendly.

Donya said:
There are coral dips you can use that will get rid of some bad things, but not all. If the coral is on a frag plug/plate or small piece of other solid material that is easily inspected, then you are probably alright with a dip and careful inspection of the specimen. If the coral is on a more complicated piece of porous rock though with places where things could hide, quarantine is the only way to make sure you don't end up with any crazy stuff. 

I would never dip a healthy anemone even if the dip says it can be used on them; they are easily stressed and don't need more stress added during introduction to a new tank. Usually it's best to stick to one anemone per tank as well as getting a captive-propagated specimen. Doing both of those pretty much eliminates the need for quarantine, assuming the anemone is not attached to a big piece of rock again as above - otherwise you'd still need to quarantine to be absolutely sure that the rock is friendly.

+1 for everything above!

Be careful with anemones and the movement espe cially if you are running powerheads instead of a closed loop system. They DO NOT like fans when they extend and accidents happen. I use a pair of tights around them which get taken off and rinsed in tank water with the weekly changes.

Hope your acclimisation goes/went well. I went with a bucket and a slow drip acclimisation for about 3 - 4 hours. My rose bubble tip is very healthy as a result.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back