Getting Newt For Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

XxTbaggerxX

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im trying to get a newt for my 20gal tank but I dont know where to start looking. Can anyone give me suggestions on caring for them and if they are hostile to fish.

I don't know much about them, but I do know that they will defently eat your fish. They also need a place that they can rest out of water.

Don't mix newts with fish, they need species only tanks. If you want to set up a species only tank for them, tell us what size tank you want, and we can advise you on what sort of newt etc.

Well my dad said that when he was a kid he had a newt with his fish and it didnt harm them, then when his heater malfunctoned and killed everything he put paranas in. But anyways...In know that they need a place to rest. My tank is a 20 gal. What kind of temps are they accomsted to?

P.S sorry for the long reply -_-

When our parents were young, they also kept goldfish in bowls, but now we know better ;)
Maybe those fish were just extremly lucky, and if you do go ahead with it your taking a chance and risking the life of your fish. So you can go ahead and disagree with us but you'll have to go find your information somewhere else :/

Newts are definitely best in a species only tank. The number one reason for this it that newts do not do well at tropical fish temperatures. Newts are a temperate species and do best at temperatures under 21C. They may survive at temperatures over this but they will almost always become stressed and die long before their time. Most newts and salamanders can easily live 10 years if not 20 and in some cases 50 years.

For more information on newts and salamanders an excellent website is caudata.org and www.caudata.org/cc for information on specific species.

Also, while some fish do indeed pose a threat to very small fish, it is actually far more likely that the fish will pose a threat to the newt as most newts are quite small. Unless we are talking axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) or spanish ribbed newts (Pleurodeles waltl) which are larger.

When i first got my tank, i had newts, then i decided i wanted newts and fish, only advise i can give you is get fats fish with lots of hiding places, i had about 20 fish with 3 newts, and when i got rid of the newts i had 15 fish left.

Most reactions

Back