Getting a 15 gallon

Do you have any other tank?

You could get a pair of dwarf gouramis in there with a few ottos and try to get the gouramis to breed...

would you want a community or single species tank? i think some small shoaling fish would be nice like tetras of some sort or harlequin rasboras. or you could get a pair of rams with maybe a few ottos. or some cories. or livebearers like platies or guppies.
its really up to you and its such a hard choice to make, we have all been there :p
would this be you first tank?

What type of 15 gallon is it? Long, tall...

Are you looking for something easy but attractive or something more challenging?

I'd say a school of black phantom tetras (5-6 of them - males will display beautifuly), 2-3 otos (attractive and will eat algae) OR 4 bronze cories (wonderful characters) and a trio of honey gouramies (not as fragile as dwarfs but just as beautiful and a similar size - a male and 2 females would be best) for a realtively easy but beautiful tank to maintain. I'd have a sand substrate or very fine, smooth gravel becase the cories like it (if you go for them instead of otos) and some floating plants for the gouramies and some rooted ones to add some interest for the tetras.

Alternatively, a well-plated tank, with sand again, and a shoal of say 7 cardinal tetras and 1 or 2 dwarf gouramies and 2-3 khulie loaches. This might be a little more challenging because of the fragile nature of cardinals (though they aren't as bad as neons) and the mass-produced and inbred but wonderful and colorful dwarf gouramies. Not difficult though.

If you are prepaired to go for a species tank, killifish are colorful and interesting but I would reccomend some floating plants for this setup. The substrate doesn't realy matter but sand looks nice - or very fine gravel. Another option for a species tank are dwarf puffers. Or you could go with a heavily planted tank with a huge shoal of harlequin rasboras or cardinal tetras or golden dwarf barbs or black phantom tetras would also look beautiful.

There are endless options - it depends on your own prefferences.

My tank is about 15gal and my sig shows what I have done - to give you an idea.

I did also have 4 otos in there, but they didn't survive long (they are well know for it), so I will be adding another algae eater to replace them.

edit...15 UK gals that is. Sig shows the tank and size though.

Is your tank cycled? I've always had great luck with otos in established tanks ... haven't lost one yet. :)

yeah, it had been cycled about three months before adding them (if your Q was aimed at me mandi?)

"QUOTE
otos (attractive and will eat algae) OR 4 bronze cories

Why 'or'? "

Just cause I was suggesting bottom dwellers and it wouldn't be possible to keep both species without over-stocking or leaving out one of the others. In a bigger tank it would be possible :)

Hmm.. My oto's are 'everything dwellers' - if there is a surface, they're on it. They actually spend no time on the ground, perhaps because it's sand.

what about 4 neons 4 white skirts 3 otos and 3 corys a bit full but everyone will be happy in that size of a tank

If you want to start with something hardy try white cloud mountain minnows. One of mine had 6 months in a cold bowl, then joined the cold tank and is now in the tropical tank. He is 2.5 years old.

Although they initially look dull, when they are settled they turn much darker with bright red fins.

Platies (keep at a ratio of one male to every 2 females) are very hardy and colorful and will also breed for you. You don't need to realy take extra care of the fry so don't worry about them. Black phantom tetras are also very hardy for a tetra and stunning to look at especialy when the males display.

Most reactions

Back