German ram white growth- help please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Euan Mackay

Reaction score
hi

I bought this German ram about 3 weeks ago. When I got it home I noticed that it had this white growth on its tail. I thought it might be ich so raised the temperature and increased water changes. The growth has pretty much stayed the same size and the fish is behaving normally/healthily. Any idea what it is? Thanks Euan

Here is a photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 182
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It's possibly fungus or Lymphocystis, which is a stress virus that clears up by itself after a few months in good conditions.

Can you post some more pictures of it from different sides and angles?

Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH. Post the results (in numbers) here.

How long have you had the fish for?
What is the water temperature?
How long has the tank been set up for?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It's possibly fungus or Lymphocystis, which is a stress virus that clears up by itself after a few months in good conditions.

Can you post some more pictures of it from different sides and angles?

Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH. Post the results (in numbers) here.

How long have you had the fish for?
What is the water temperature?
How long has the tank been set up for?
Thanks for the quick response. The tank is almost 2 years old. I turned it up to 31C when I thought it might be ich. I’ve had the ram for about 3 weeks, I bought 2 and the other is still completely fine. The water was recently tested and nothing came positive for toxins.

Photos attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 136
It doesn't look like fungus and isn't quite right for Lymphocystis.
It's definitely not whitespot (Ichthyophthirius).

Drop your temperature back to 26C and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks.

Feed the fish more often during the next 2 weeks and post more pictures if it gets worse.

It doesn't look like fungus and isn't quite right for Lymphocystis.
It's definitely not whitespot (Ichthyophthirius).

Drop your temperature back to 26C and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks.

Feed the fish more often during the next 2 weeks and post more pictures if it gets worse.
Will do, cheers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back