German Blue Rams And Color Loss

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Phage

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Not sure where to post, not really an emergency but

My rams seem to not be as bright as they once were. I know they are quite sensitive fish. Not of my other fish have color loss or suffering from anything. Can't test water as I have no kit. Slowly over time they started to lose color.
I bought them over a year ago. Probably one and a half years old now. Are they getting old? What are the signs of old fish anyway?
The male has a bent tail. They eat normally and swim all over.

a year ago
rams.jpg

I guess my male went through a color phase... (first bought) blue to (7-8 months ago)orangish to (now)pale with a bent tail :\
fgbf.jpg

gfdh.jpg

bbbb.jpg

female now, still has a hint of blue but not as prominant as she used to be
feee.jpg

There has also been a role reversal. My male used to chase the female and now the female chases the male :S

55USG

5 oto
2 angels
gold gourami
5 zebra danio
3 ocelot danio
syno nig
and the 2 gbr

water changes are 20%-40% once a week as I have plants and fertilize them now

There has also been a role reversal. My male used to chase the female and now the female chases the male :S

I have a german ram too. Is the male the second from the bottom? Because it looks like a sick fish (rams are usually stout) and if that's the case, that would explain why the female is getting nippy with him. Fish are horrible to each other and seem to know when there's a sick one in their midst.

If you're going to keep your aquarium for a while, I would get a test kit. It's hard to say what's going on without any water testing results. And yes, you're right, I've read they are very fussy about clean water.

Are they eating well? I've had my ram for about 3 months now and they seem to enjoy a varied diet. I give mine flake food, cichlid pellets and also frozen blood worms (not all on the same day though). It might be a matter of improving their food, or it could be something else. What is their behaviour like? Do they hide alot? Are their fins clamped down?

I know, I went to the store and forgot to buy one. Usually have one but ran out. Had this tank for 2 years, and my 20gal for 4 so I'm not clueless :(

Both swim up to the top looking for food when I get close. No clamped fins, no visible spots, swims around. The female will chase him but not constantly. The male doesn't put up his dorsal fin like he used to, looks much skinnier than before, and his bent tail. Female is much thicker than the male and more active.
I feed them this but I soak it in water first so it's not hard to swallow. And flake most of the time.
Poop is like uh... well I guess fish have 'casing' like stuff to keep it mostly together. His is clear with small parts of light brown. No inflamed butts.

Female eats fine, male seems to go after food and stops just short of it, but only does it with certain flake colors it seems. I think he has bad aim too. Tries to eat the soaked medley stuff but misses sometimes.
I'm lost :\

Both swim up to the top looking for food when I get close. No clamped fins, no visible spots, swims around. The female will chase him but not constantly. The male doesn't put up his dorsal fin like he used to, looks much skinnier than before, and his bent tail. Female is much thicker than the male and more active. I think he has bad aim too. Tries to eat the soaked medley stuff but misses sometimes.

Pretty sure the male is sick. you could try googling his symptoms, there might be something on the net about what disease or illness causes "wasting" or losing weight and a bent tail. I would remove him and quarantine him from your female or she might get whatever he has. Then you can treat him when you've split them up.

I know he is sick which is what brings me here. Can't separate them because my 20gal has a fish that will eat him.
I have been looking, it could be

Fish Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium)
S: Fish may lose color and appetite and become hollow-bellied. Fish become lifeless and often crippled—with a bent spine. Fish develop ulcers under the skin and may rupture causing open sores and "pop-eye."

Neon Disease (Sporozoasis)
S: This incurable disease can affect characins, Cyprinds, and cichlids. The disease can manifest itself in several ways. Symptoms vary, and can include a loss of color, emaciation, and the loss of equilibrium causing fish to swim in an erratic, jerky manner. An infected specimen will wander from its school. The body may become a milky, opaque color.

Could be lack of vitamins

Any sort of thing really.

Forgot to add I feed them peas sometimes

Kind of sounds like fish tuberculosis. Apparently blue rams are rife with this kind of disease because of the way they are raised from fry, in overcrowded tanks. Maybe it finally caught up wth yours. They're a lovely little fish but they aren't the healthiest species for sure.

Maybe... I thought it was hard for fish to get this.
Plus how long would it harbor? I mean I had the fish for a year and a half or more. No one else seems sick.

What else could it be? Poor nutrition? I've tried to feed cucumber and carrots and lettuce but my pleco only ate that. Everyone but my angelfish eat peas.

Well today the fish was at the bottom not swimming at all, the female was picking on him. And he eventually flipped on his side. So I put him down. Still don't know what was wrong :\

Sorry to hear that phage, can I ask what are you tank nitrAtes at?

Sorry you had to put him to sleep :(

I really want some more rams. But id like to do up my tank first with lots of plants before i put them in with my clown loaches and gouramis. What was the size tank you kept them in? I notice you have a divider in the pic. How do yo uknow f the water is to acidic for them if you dont have a test kit? bad water quality or to acidic or to alkaline water can also make a fish go down hill.

Sorry I took a day to respond. I am really sad I had to put him down. I only use the divider when my angels spawn so they have peace but otherwise there is no divider.

55 gal

tests said
ph 7.4-7.8
ammonia 0-0.25ppm
no2: 0ppm
no3: 10-20ppm

I've started to add khpo4 and kno3 as part of plant fertilizer though

This is a picture of my tank, about a month old though
PA222767.jpg

I don't know why he was sick :( Any ideas?

:\ I'm afraid the female will go the same way.

so sorry for your loss,maybe if you put this in the trop emergencies section someone could help you in time to save the female.good luck.

Most reactions

Back