George's Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I remeber that 1st layout, seems an age ago, although there is a lot to be said about returning to it, no true aquatic plants, minimal maint, no co2, sounds like a dream! Oh wait I think not! You must have had some pretty mixed emotions stripping down the tank though, however the thought of being able to start afresh is really appealing, makes me almost look forward to my 4 monther :crazy:

You must have had some pretty mixed emotions stripping down the tank though, however the thought of being able to start afresh is really appealing, makes me almost look forward to my 4 monther :crazy:
Very mixed emotions mate although I must say the excitement is winning the battle at the moment. It's very weird seeing a black box in the corner now. Janine wants to keep it there though and put a tablecloth over it. I reckon she thinks I'll deliberately break it if I move it so I can buy a bigger one! She knows me too well :lol:.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words.

James - call the platy what you like. I called it "Pooper" as a joke, more for the kid's benefit.

Thanks for the picture of the original layout. I have a lot of those plants on my window sill! :lol: You've come a long, long way!

I really like the new layout possibility. It's stunning, a definite competition winner if all goes well.

Your thread has been a true inspiration for many of us, myself included. It's sad to see the tank go, but the tank's future looks very bright.

Tiger barbs would be great! When I had mine, they were my favorite fish, so active and very lovely.

By the way, that is just the cutest little baby around! Any chance I could order her and take her home?

pooper it is then. she doesn't half drop em doesn't she lol.

some competition for my sailfin and angel in that department. great, perfect planted tank fish...er well we all like a challenge dont we lol.

great to see all that stuff going to a good home nice to put a face to a name too! watch out putting angels with shrimps as they find them tasty!!!

Look on the bright side George, you'll have plenty of time to work out your new concept and be able to save a shed load of dosh cos there's sod all to do there lol (except get wasted :D or get fit :crazy: )
Be nice and warm this time of year too (not)
You can make a fortune down there mind , check out the shadies and make friends with the matelots.
Have a good time down there m8, look forward to see what you produce when you get back.

who are you handing the baton of power over to whilst you're away george?

(ie-who do we bug the hell out of now?!?)

The end of an era.

Most of you will know that I am soon leaving the country for 4 months (don’t ask!), so with this in mind I have stripped down my entire tank; fish, plants, hardscape, substrate, the lot.

A while back I promised that my mighty Java fern would go to jimbooo. So he came to visit and after a nice chat and some cups of tea (we’re very English you know), out came the big bucket. I soon realised that James was happy to take the lot (except substrate) from me so I watched with a tinge of sadness as he delicately removed my entire livestock from the tank, comforted by the fact that I knew they would all be well looked after and I could see their progress right here in his journals. We both did well out of the situation, a real “win win” if you will.

So I now have no tank to look after. It is a refreshing change to not need to worry about dosing, CO2, feeding, water changes etc. Although I do miss seeing a nice planted tank in the corner of my living room – very much.

Perhaps most exciting for me though is my wife’s new found interest in setting up a new layout. The tank has been somewhat a source of contention for us in the past so I took this opportunity to get her involved in the planning of a new set-up; planting, fish choice etc. To my delight she took an interest and we even looked through some of Amano’s books together for some ideas (you have no idea of the breakthrough!).

We clearly have different tastes; her favouring more traditional stem plant arrangements in a Dutch style, with me being more a Nature Aquarium style fan. However we did find some common ground and I can see us planning a layout with both elements. Those who own the ADA catalogue can see the style we both like in Gallery no. 5. I really like the open foreground and sand “shore” with the moss/Riccia covered pebbles, and stone/wood combo. It goes against some of my original intentions of HC etc. but this a small sacrifice to make to keep the other half happy. I realise that the end result may look entirely different, and no doubt will, but I intend to follow this open foreground principle, it will be easier to maintain too. I will still use ADA Aqua Soil but with some Rio-Negro sand or similar whitish sand at the front – the contrast will work well, particularly with my black backround. I’m sure oldwhitewood knows where I’m coming from here.

Fish choice is another matter entirely. My wife prefers a “fish” tank so doesn’t really relish the idea of a shoal of small single species. I’ve managed to convince her that understocking is the way forward though so at least that won’t be an issue. We left the discussion with a pair of Angelfish last night, no other fish, just shrimp. I’m also thinking now about a small shoal of Tiger barbs (not with Angels obviously), they grow to a decent size and their markings are great – a shoal of 6-8 or so would work well. Anyway it’s a long way off and no doubt many more ideas will come and go.

Exciting times though.

A huge thanks to everyone that has provided me feedback on my work so far. It is your comments and positivity that has helped me keep so well motivated. I hope to reward you with an even more beautiful tank to look at in the not-too-distant future.

Kindest regards
George

A great post there, and really cool to see pictures of you guys and Florence too :D

I think you are right to go for the sand foreground idea, I too am going to do that with mine, I think its a really fresh and modern style. Gallery number 5 looks really cool its a good starting block. You know what the shot of the tank without the fern just 'there' in the room inspired me a bit, so lush and green.

Can't wait to see the new tank.

I really thought you were older, was quite taken aback to see a young face
Yea, I thought that too. Must be because he's so full of knowledge we must have thought he was a lot older.

Thought I would add my condolences to the rest. It almost brings a tear to my eye :( take care out in there in the southern hemisphere, I hear the albatross get a bit feisty this time of year.

You still gonna be able to make the odd trip onto here? Or is it lights out completely until your return?

All the best boyo

Sam :)

Thanks guys.

I should still be active on here while I'm away, just not as much.

Thankfully the planted forum is very well behaved and pretty much self-regulating. Lateral Line will be able to address any urgent issues you have and I'm sure the likes of zig and co. can provide enough of the technical support.

I really thought you were older, was quite taken aback to see a young face :look:
Thanks - I think. My writing manner may be misleading, believe it or not I even have fun sometimes!! :hey:

This is a more flattering photo - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=901864

It would be nice to see more planted faces in Rogues Gallery.

Well it's been over three months since I last updated my journal so here we are!

Introduction

Many of you will already know I’m setting up this, my Juwel Rio 125 from scratch. Unfortunately it’s still in the planning stages at present as I’m away from home. Hopefully I’ll get my hands wet in August but with family commitments etc. I may not actually start until September/October.

The tank’s progress will be detailed here and photographed at each stage of development – from the empty tank up to the final aquascape and beyond. I will also be contributing its step-by-step progress to Practical Fishkeeping magazine. This should reinforce the reader’s understanding of high-tech principles as detailed in my articles (published Oct-Dec hopefully). Look out for a budget/DIY CO2 article in Sept too. I don’t expect the step-by-step work to be published until next year. They’ll be sending their pro-snapper to take the final layout photos so it provides me with plenty of motivation to do a good job.

You can see the tank’s previous “best†here

Hardware

Equipment wise they’ll be a few developments from my previous spec. I’ll be upgrading the filtration, CO2 system and substrate. These upgrades will then be transferred over to my next bigger ADA style tank that I plan in the future (up to 12 months time budget allowing).

Lighting will remain 4 x 18w T8 I think. I don’t see the need to spend extra cash on something that I cannot use in the bigger tank and I had good results with my measly 2.2 wpg. I’ll be using 6500K or 7500K tubes with possibly one or two Triplus (Tritons for those that remember) to highlight the reds and blues, depending on plant and fish choice.

The planned spec so far is –

Tank – Juwel Rio 125
Light – 4 x 18w T8, 10 hours
CO2 – Dennerle re-fillable 500g pressurized system with solenoid, ADA Pollen Glass 30mm, possibly upgrade to a 2Kg cylinder
Filter – Eheim 2028 Pro II, Eheim spray bar and inlet (painted black), Hydor in-line heater
Substrate – ADA Aqua Soil (Amazonia) + mulm
Ferts – EI + trace (AE trace mix), lean macro regime for first few months
Water – 50:50 RO/tap, KH 3, GH 6

Aquascaping and fish

The layout will no doubt be Nature Aquarium style, probably triangular or U-shaped compostion. I have a black painted background so the black Eheim spray bar and inlet will blend in nicely.

A few plants that I would like to have – Java fern (narrow leaf), willow moss, HC, Anubias nana var. petite and some fine leaf stems, some red too for a change. I like the open foreground look too, so the HC may be compromised. We’ll see, there’s a long way to go yet. Hardscape is another story, maybe some locally (Falklands) collected rocks and/or decent wood.

I’d like to set up another original looking layout, but a little more complex than my previous effort with a greater variety in plant species and textures.

No plans for fish yet, except I’ll be stocking Amano shrimp and Otos from the start (after maturing filter and adding plants). I’ll wait around 4 to 6 weeks then stock my “display†fish, whatever they may be. I promised the wife could have some input so who knows!?

Early algae prevention

One technique I will be using is maturing the filter before adding any plants, fish or light. This will enable me to add my final choice of plants and some algae-eating fish/shrimp from the outset, saving cash, maintenance and most of all preventing algae issues. One filter-maturing product that I have heard is effective is Waterlife’s BioMature – it is added until nitrite (NO2) hits 10ppm, then wait until NO2 reads zero. Either this or simply run the new filter in a friends Mbuna tank for a month or so.

I’d like to acknowledge Nick for providing me with the inspiration for using this method. To my surprise he planted with slow-growers from the outset, but experienced no algae issues because his filter was mature. Presumably it is the ammonium spikes present due to immature bio-filtration that cause early algae issues. So providing there is sufficient CO2, growth/bio-mass etc. then we can get away with adding demanding plants from the start.

Longer-term plans

As well as having fun hopefully creating a half-decent aquascape, the Juwel will provide an ideal opportunity to learn about the ADA substrates and necessary water column fert dosing. I am a big advocate of EI yet I understand that when using Aqua Soil (with Power Sand or not) then macronutrient (NP) dosing can be very lean. The lessons I learn from this I can then take forward to the next tank.

I expect to keep the Juwel running for 6 to 12 months until I have saved enough cash to buy an ADA style tank with overtank MH/T5 lighting, ADA glassware etc. When it is time I will either sell the Juwel with its original hardware or use it as an experimental tank.

Sorry that you have to wait until August to see any photos. Just think of an empty, black Juwel Rio 125 with no internal filter and you’ll get the idea for the first photo!

Can only say I wait with eagar antisipation to see your new tank George, I expect it'll be worth the wait :)

Sam

Update time. :good:

I’m still over here in the cold and windy Falklands but there has been some major benefits to my time 8000 miles away from home….. Hardscape! Whilst exploring a beach in San Carlos, East Falkland Island I found some great ADA-style branchy driftwood. My excitement was rather perplexing for my friends at the time. When I explained, “this stuff is worth a fortune in the UK†they soon came around though!

Wood collected from seawater actually has advantages over freshwater. It has already been cured, it is denser, less likely to leech tannins and rot. Here it is. The magazine is there for size reference.

I have positioned the pieces in all sorts of combinations and I can get it looking like this.

I have also collected some great rocks. The first type are “Riccia/moss stonesâ€. They are 2-3†diameter and a quite flat with a rough-textured surface that makes them ideal for anchoring the Riccia/moss. I’ve also sourced some great larger rocks ideal for future potential aquascapes. One day I’d like to try my hand at an Iwagumi (Japanese rock arrangement style) composition.

Hardware - I have finalized a few decisions and enquired ref. prices with Aqua Essentials.

Filter – Eheim 2028 Pro II (750 lph – 6x turnover rate)
Lighting – 2 x 25w T8 Interpet Daylight Plus
2 x 18w T8 Interpet Daylight Plus all with Juwel reflectors (2.6 wpg). 10 hour photoperiod.
Substrate – ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia 2 x 9 l. ADA Power Sand Special 2 l. (I wans’t intending to use Power Sand but I’m too weak to resist!) and ADA Bright Sand for the foreground.
Ferts – Tropica Nutrition. KNO3 and KH2PO4 i.a.w EI. Dennerle E15 for extra Fe if required.
CO2 – 500g pressurized with Dennerle reg. May upgrade to 2Kg CO2 fire extinguisher. D&D solenoid. 1+ BPS. Direct into filter to start with. If I get sporadic output I’ll invest in some ADA glassware.
Water – 70:30 RO/tap. KH 2, GH 4. 50% weekly water change.

Substrate will be installed right away. No plants, light, CO2 or fish for first 6 weeks while I mature the filter using Waterlife Bio-mature and let the ADA substrate and water chemistry stabilize.

Aquascape - I’m looking at a similar layout to ADA 2005 catalogue NA no.5. Black background, U-shape compostion, dense green stems up at the left and right sides. Lots of narrow var. Java fern on the wood. Group red Rotala indica or Ludwigia arcuata off-center for focal point. Sand foreground with moss or Riccia stones leaning against wood and possibly some petite var. Anubias.

Fish – Amano shrimp, Otos, 12 or so Harlequin rasboras and 3 Pearl gouramis (all South East Asia origin).

All subject to change depending on wife!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back