George's Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

A nice community shot taken with just my 2 x 18W Dennerle (3000K) tubes on hence the warm light effect.

Some bad news. My 25W 30" Dennerle tube has packed up. It is almost a year old though so I was replacing it soon so not too many dramas. I've replaced it with a spare Triton - not my favourite but it's better than nothing. It has actually given more depth to the tank as it's positioned at the front. The plants are still pearling away nicely so I assume they're ok with it. There's four other tubes anyway so I guess the difference is minor to them.

Attachments

• 19jun.JPG
    19jun.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 65
Nice shots gf the colour difference is noticeable ie. not as nice.......how many watts are you useing btw, and what way have you the tubes arranged, the idea of depth has me interested, ill have to do a bit of research on it.

Tubes from front to back;

Interpet Triton - 25W 30" 8300K
Arcadia Freshwater - 18W 24" 7500K
Hagen Life-Glo - 20W 24" 6700K
Dennerle Special-Plant - 18W 24" 3000K
Dennerle Special-Plant - 18W 24" 3000K

All high-output full-spectrum T8 with reflectors 98W total - 3 WPG

Higher colour temp at front gives greater depth.

Looking good mate :D

I have just changed my front tube for a Dennerle special plant (thought i do have two) which is alot more yellow/orange in colour (the Arcardia tube at the back is white) which is quite a contrast to when i had both Arcardia tubes. Reading from what you say i was going to change both but may leave the back one as you say it gives more depth. I shall see when it is all set up. Have you got rid of the spot algae?

I don't get how the lights are attached to the rio tanks.

I've probably asked this before...do you use a condensation tray?

Sam

no.

the rio tanks have a centre brace going across the tank front to back in the centre.

this supports the tube with the wires pulled tight to stabalise it.

heres a pic of mine.

Lighting.jpg

not the best angle but you can see the black brace in the middle of the tank. mine is a rio 180, gf225's is a rio125, same design just smaller

are you saying the tubes just lean on the middle bit? Does it all lift off?

I have a wooden hood, and I had to screw the eye part of hook and eyes and then I attached the bracket that came with the light to the eye with cable ties.

I've removed my condensation tray, but I'm constantly worrying if my light might fall in the tank :|

as the wires at each end are pulled tight it keeps the tubes level. yes they just lean on the brace.

if you pushed the right or left side down with your hand they would fall in and fry the fish. left untouched they are fine.

in other words fine for an adult only house but with kiddies about it would be a definate no go.

to remove the tubes just lift them off (easier said than done though with all the wires etc...)

Progress.

BTW - Apologies for my lack of lengthy responses to peoples threads. I'm really pushed for spare time at the moment.

Attachments

• 22jun.JPG
    22jun.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 56
I don't know what it is, but there's always something neat and orderly about your tank, gf225. Have the plants been pruned at all or are they just growing out?

Nospherith said:
I don't know what it is, but there's always something neat and orderly about your tank, gf225. Have the plants been pruned at all or are they just growing out?
It's growing out. I've only pruned once since planting. I know what you mean about the orderly appearance. I quite like it. No accounting for taste though, I do come from a military background so maybe that's the cause.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back