Genetically Altered Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Danno

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well seeing that most people on this forum are against dyed fish, what about genetically altered fish? I have my on opinion about it, but I want to hear yours.
Just note that genetically modified fish that I am talking about are modified for color such as GloFish patented by Azoo. I wasn't talking about shape or whatever.

Edit: Corrected name

I think they're okay to do, since it doesn't harm the fish. However, I'd never buy one. I don't like their color. Too unnatural. :X Plus, they're expensive. They're like $10 a fish at my LFS.

I can't really say I'm against it or not. I eat GMO organisms every day. 90 percent of produce is genetically modified. We all have eaten a GMO organism at some point in our lives. I think it's a slippery slope when it comes to animals however. I think that this is the farthest they should ever go as far as tampering with DNA. Who knows what they will make. I also don't know if the genes they express will affect their happiness and life span. I know that it is jelly fish DNA that makes them glow, but does it hurt them? Whatever their bodies absorb to create their glow could hurt other organs etc. Idk.

Not sure about the first link you have. But the second link is the genetically modified zebra danio who was modified with starfish and that sorts of DNA. I think it's pretty cool how science can work. I have to say though that there really isn't anything bad with genetically modified, because it's not causing pain to a fish, because it has to do with genetics. I know the glofish danio's around here are about $5 or $6 depending on where you look. A little to pricey for me. :nod: :nod:

:fish: :fish: :fish:

No thats what the article from the website that originally took the first photo said. lol but I don't know.

Deary me... if people are gonig to get into debates, can they at least get the names right?

Glofish®

glofish_024_std.jpg

Which is a zebra danio.

Glowlight Danio
danio_choprae.jpg

Which is Danio choprae

Glowlight Tetra
Hemigrammus_erythrozonus_s.jpg

Which is Hemigrammus erythrozonus.

ah fishy beat me too it.

I have one word to describe glowfish(tm) and any future such fish
abominable

it's an idea i'm just not wholly comfortable with, while it may not hurt the fish or do them or the species any long term damage (not sure if this is correct but just working on that assumption) it still just doesn't feel right to be playing god with these fish for our own amusement. while yes we all eat GM crops and stuff, can't really avoid it nowadays, there's a line to be drawn with genetic modification. admittedly it's a very blurry line and no one really knows where it should be (myself included) but i think messing with these fish just to make a prettier colour crosses the line to we shouldn't be doing that territory.

Those Glofish look awsome!! :hyper: Also you never know it might not be Genetically modified, some and most breeders use selective breeding to get there desired shape/colours. Its cheaper, safer for the fish and you get a variety of results that you might not have thought of before, so its lot more beneficial and profitable too.

Any way im off to go buy my self a tank of Glofish :good:

it's an idea i'm just not wholly comfortable with, while it may not hurt the fish or do them or the species any long term damage (not sure if this is correct but just working on that assumption) it still just doesn't feel right to be playing god with these fish for our own amusement. while yes we all eat GM crops and stuff, can't really avoid it nowadays, there's a line to be drawn with genetic modification. admittedly it's a very blurry line and no one really knows where it should be (myself included) but i think messing with these fish just to make a prettier colour crosses the line to we shouldn't be doing that territory.
I seem to recall that the ultimate aim with the glofish is to create a fish which flouresces when certain pollutants are present, and thus utilise them as an early warning signal in water treatment (rather than waiting for the fish to die).

By putting the half way point (those fish that contain the correct genes) on the market place the comany can have a second, much needed, source for further research.

I, for one, welcome these sort of scientific developments. The main problem people have is that this is done through a technology they do not fully understand, much like nano-tech. The idea of breeding certain mutations into animals takes a while and people can understand how it happens, but how many of us truly understand exactly what is involved in creating the glofish?

What price being able to port over the apparent lack of death due to old age from Anemones into the human genetic structure?

I seem to recall that the ultimate aim with the glofish is to create a fish which flouresces when certain pollutants are present, and thus utilise them as an early warning signal in water treatment (rather than waiting for the fish to die).

now you mention it i do remember that, however an awful lot of fish will change colour naturally if they are not happy with something like high ammonia levels. a fish looking 'off colour' is often the first warning an aquarist gets of a problem. if the fish can do it naturally why do we need to engineer some to do it? Also, do you really think all the people who buy them are interestied in them as an early warning system? nope they just like the pretty colours.

What price being able to port over the apparent lack of death due to old age from Anemones into the human genetic structure?

would you really want to live forever??? i certainly don't! you've moaned yourself about overpopulation, what would happen to the world if none of us died, people would still want to go through the normal procreation and have children who would in turn want their own children. if we're running out of space now what on earth would happen if people stopped and dying....... and that's without even considering how the governments gonna fund people's pensions!

Most reactions

trending

Back