Gday Gday

awolman

Reaction score
Hi all,

This site rocks!!!!

I am living in Melbourne, Australia and just purchased my first aqaurium about 4 days ago - and it is already giving me much joy - water chemistry is good and most of the fish are settling in well.

The angel fish have established them as king and queen of the tank, the other fish seem to be settling in quite well.

Only problem I am having at the moment is having 2 red tail sharks in the tank together - one is exceptionally dominant and has the other one cowering in a corner - it is a bit upsetting - don't know what I am going to do about this? Any suggestions welcome.

Looking forward to participating further in these forums.

Cheers,
Alan.

HiYa and awolman :thumbs:

4 days - please read some of the pinned articals in beginners HERE especiall on cycling

What size tank and how many fish in there?

www :)

I have a 160L (40 Gal) tank containing:

2 small angel fish (about 2" in size)
2 red tailed sharks (1 1/2")
4 neon tetras
2 small bristlenosed catfish (1")

Did the shop mention anything about cycling the tank? - I presume not :/ - you will need to monitor your water closely....

www :)

G'Day mate and :hi:

I had two red tails ina 4 foot and had the same problem
apparently they are loners - they go spastic when they see another of their species!
I only keep one now - with angels...but the shark keeps chasing the smaller black angels so be careful of that (only the black ones!!!)

hope you learn heaps from these forums (I have)...there are a lot of guys on here who really know their stuff!

:teacher:

Yeah welcome to the forum mate....(I'm from adelaide, SA :lol: )

I hope you like the hobby unfortunately like has been mentioned....you probably shoould cycle your tank and I would advise giving up one of your red tailed sharks....or else :crazy:

for the time being...I would suggest going to the lfs and asking for a bit of filter media that has been used in there tanks as there is plenty of benefitial bacteria in it...with this media i would just go to your tank and squeese the media into your tank....this will help cycle the tank fast and hopefully there will be no cassulties. Ok also the lfs should give this for free ;)

I wish I had read the articles on cycling prior to buying all my beautiful fishes...LFS indicated the fish should be fine without needing to wait an extended period of time.

Hopefully my fish do not fall victim to New Tank Syndrome.

Yeah,....but try do that thing at the lfs that I said you should ;) your fishies have a much bigger chance of survival ;)

Good Luck

:hi:

another aussie!

goodluck with the tank

DD

Most reactions

Back