Garra Rufa And Chin Chin Pets. Please Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luandanielle

Reaction score
Hi everyone im new to keeping fish. I have just inherited a large 4 ft fresh water aquarium with Garra rufa and chin chins in it. Its a nice set up and at the moment I have about 40 fish in 20 of each breed. They were rescued from and unwanted foot spa business and a friend who is moving away has been and set everything up to keep them happy for the moment. He is going next week so I need a crash course on how to keep my new additions happy as punch. They will no longer be pimped out for nibbling people dry skin. I would love any advice you can give me. I realise they may breed ect and probly need to get rid of some of them as theres quite a few in there. Im just feeding them with tropical fish food for now. I have never seen more active fish. They seem to live in harmony with the chin chins being more dominant. Please help.

Luan MANCHESTER

Do you know if you have a cycled, or mature, filter?

That's the most important thing to understand; a cycled filter will have all the beneficial bacteria needed to eat the fish's wastes. If not, the ammonia will be building up in the water all the time, and you'll need to do big water changes to get rid of it.

I'm really worried about your 'chin chins'. They're most probably Oreochromis niloticus; a fish that can grow to over a foot long, so there's no way you're going to be able to keep them in a four foot tank. What you're going to do with them is another matter :crazy:

Thankyou for your reply its a large filter that can be used for getting the water out of the tank when required. Its a pressurised filter Aqua one. Aquis 750 model. Dont know what that means but I have one. I am determind to learn. These chin chins I have heard they grow at a rapid weight. I was more for the moment concerned for the Garra's in there with them but they tend to leave eachother alone and with the chin chins dancing all over and the garra's prefering to be at the bottom of the tank. We have the kit to test the water and aiming to change 30% of the water monthly. The largest chin chins are about 10-12 cm long at the moment. They are certainly entertaining to watch x

Do you know how long the filter has been running for? it's those filter bacteria that are vital. If you have test kits, it would be really helpful if you could test your water and post the results, as that'll really help us advise you on how to best look after your fish.

You'll need to be doing much, much larger water changes (always assuming that your filter is cycled) than 30% a month, as your tank is terribly overstocked right now. Something more like 50 or 75% twice a week (or even more, but I'd need your test results to be more certain) will be needed until you can rehome some of those fish.

I don't know how you're going to get rid of them; you could try an ad on 'Aquarist Classified', but I don't hold out much hope, tbh.

I will ask my OH when he gets in as he is the chief tester. If we need to change it more often that wouldn't be the problem. I am concerned about these fish getting bigger and taking over they do seem to have room for now as most of the fish are still very small. the tak is 2 ft deep x 2 ft. I didnt want them to be left to die or just dumped somewhere so Thats why they are together. The Garra's are not the problem. The chin chins are really lovely fish. I just hope I can come up with a solution for them. I DO NOT want them to breed. That would be NOT GOOD. They are straight at the tank as soon as you walk by. Cant decide if there being friendly or just want to eat me (joke). I will post test results later. And thanks again x

396064_4147877293189_508344155_n.jpg

Heres a quick shot

We are in the process of topping up the water as its being treated first. It should be full by tonight.

Once water is dechlorinated, it can go straight into the tank, though you might need to warm it up first with some hot water, either from the hot tap or the kettle.

If the top of that heater isn't under water, the thermostat wont work correctly (as its in the top!) and may A) not be heating the water B) be stuck on all the time and warming it too much.

If the top of that heater isn't under water, the thermostat wont work correctly (as its in the top!) and may A) not be heating the water B) be stuck on all the time and warming it too much.

Don't worry, I read the bit where you said you were still topping up the water.

More of an issue is that you need to angle the heater. Because (as Tigger correctly points out) the thermostat is in the top, you are heating water, which rises straight up, heats up the thermostat, and then switches off the heater too soon. If you angle the heater, the newly-heated water bypasses the thermostat, until much more of the tank water has been heated.

Thanks The heater will be submerged when the next water goes in. The temp has been a steady 37 since yesterday. x

I will move the heater now :)

Im a quick learner.... I dont want to be a dead one lol. I will get a hand pedicure at the same time as these little fellas are at you in a second.

is it ok to completely submerge it or shall I leave the black cap sticking out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back