Garra Pingi Pingi

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ryan

Spinning around
Reaction score
Garra pingi pingi has been showing up in a few aquarium stores, being sold as a pond fish. There is very little information about this Asian fish. From what I have gathered, it is similar in behavior and appearance to various loaches and "algae eaters." It is reported to eat algae but probably is opportunistic and from my experience this is true. At the moment it seems to be peaceful and active so..............
post-22-1083439900.jpg

Have any of you guys seen or kept them before?

Well from the info I have found and by looking at him and others I would say 4-5", I will have to see. :)

He's in your coldwater tank yes? Who are you keeping him with? It would be interesting to see if he stays non aggressive or if he picks up those "nasty" habits that some of the other algea eater types show as they mature.

ALASKA

He is in a Coldwater Tank yes with Wheather Loaches and Goldifsh and hopefully if I can find them some Pungitus Pungitus(Ten Spined Stickleback) and a species of Sunfish.

information about Garra pingi pingi:
"They are only aggressive to goldfish it appears. As I purchased them from where I work and we first kept them with fancy goldfish and they killed the lot by sucking on them and causing fungus, etc., we then tried them with golden minnows and they were fine. I have a hunch that it's something to do with the taste of the slime on goldfish as I know plecos will chase and suck goldfish but will not to any other member of the cyprinid family which goldfish belong to. They are quite fussy when it comes to water quality. As they seem to have a taste for goldfish it would appear that they are omnivorous and not 100% herbivorous! I seriously would not recommend keeping them in a pond, and I'm not sure of their minimum temperature just yet and they are dead expensive."

I just got this from the net
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/misc.htm#garra

Here is an article I worte on them - http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...showtopic=35036

Most of that info is wrong, I keep mine with several varieties of Coldwater fish including Bitterlings, Golden Minnows, Goldfish and Weather Loaches, mine is very peaceful and troubles no one, however, IME they are aggressive towards their own species.

Most reactions

Back