Gambusia Affinis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sekhmut0402

Reaction score
Bought two new female guppies a few days ago... they get totally ignored by my male guppies, are grey all over, and seem to have a slightly different dorsal fin. I suspect they're actually Gambusia Affinis - off to the local fish store tomorrow to get them looked at. If the guy there agrees that they're Gambusia, they'll be staying with him to be sold on to someone who has the right kind of set up to offer them.

If they were Gambusia believe me you would have known about it :look: I got sold one once as a female guppy, plain in colour and slightly different shape to the head. I would have not suspect if it hadn't been for the fact it went around my tank and fin nipped every fish within an hour of being in there, even had a go at my large gourami. It managed to inflict so much damage in the space of a day 1 lost 2 females and 2 male guppies :sad: .. If its being ignored and is not bothering other fish, it won't be a gambusia, just a plain tail guppy. ;)

Strang things happened to some of my guppies a while back. My males weren't breeding with my females and they were chasing my female swordtails instead. Then I bought new males and I finally got babies!

Little me is right, you would definately know if it was a gambusia, iv heard stories..... :sick:

gambusia_affinis05-500.jpg

An easy way to tell is looking at the fishe's top half, from its mouth to where its tail starts, it should be almost completely straight, with the accepting of where its dorsal fin pops up.

gp36.jpg

In a female guppy, from the mouth to the drosal, there is an upward slope, and then a downward slope toward the tail makeing and obtuse looking angle, but this may vary between individual fish due to spine problems caused by genetics.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back