Fx5 Modification :)

So I took some measurments and did some math.

I have an area of 11.50" in Diameter and 8" High for bio media. So 11.5 / 2 = 5.75 x 5.75 x 3.14 = 103.81 x 8 = 830.5 cubic inches = 13.60 Liters of bio media. I could raise that to 14 liters very easy by just raising the spunges another half inch. :) So thats another 7.7 - 8.1 Liters more than before!

5.3 Liters of Foam which is about 325 cubic inches.

So what do you think? My first estimations were before I took some real measurments.

I updated the post two posts above this one.

Here are some pictures of the modified Fx5. All I need now is the media that is on route

Picture of some of the egg crate cutt with my band saw and siliconed to the side of the basin to aid in support for the top rack.
fx5mod6.jpg

Same as above except with the bottom rack in place.
fx5mod4.jpg

Now a picture of the top rack in along with the bottom rack
fx5mod5.jpg

Just a close up
fx5mod3.jpg

looks great , but yono the input to the filter ?? i take it you have removed that tube right?? Would'nt it be an idea to incorporate a spraybar to spray the water all over the top of the media. because if you leave it how it is, surely the water will just get sprayed down in one direction and not touch the media over by the output tube.

Hope that makes sence to you lol, Adam

looks great , but yono the input to the filter ?? i take it you have removed that tube right?? Would'nt it be an idea to incorporate a spraybar to spray the water all over the top of the media. because if you leave it how it is, surely the water will just get sprayed down in one direction and not touch the media over by the output tube.

Yes I did remove the tube. You can twist it right out. That is a good thought although I wouldn't do a spray bar sincei t would be very restrictive, I would do more of a redirection of the water. Maybe by heating up the intake tube and bending /molding it to my desire. I may look into that. I don't think its going to be much of an issue since velocity is going to be low so the water is going to have plenty of time to be dispersed. When the high velocity flow from the tube comes into contact with the low velocity in the basin its going to automatically force it to disperse in all directions.

I will keep that in mind :) Good thinking

If this mod works good than I want to do the some more finishing touches be removing the dividers from the cover and the bottom of the basin. The outer most divided with the o-ring is not solid plastic though, its hollow which means if I grind that out im ging to be causing a huge leak :(. I will have to figure out with to use to fill that in.

I am also looking into the enlarging the intake to the impeller a smidge hoping without breaking through the plastic housing. A picture of the two for comparison.
impellervsintake.jpg

I may only be able to open it up another total 1/16 -1/8" in diameter so 1/32 - 2/32 removed form the outer diameter. I hope this could create a slightly less restriction for better flow.

I may look into getting a couple sheets of ABS plastic at 1/16 - 3/32" thick and drill a bunch on holes all uniform in a pattern instead of using egg crate but we'll see...

good idea. Im might copy your idea and see if it makes a difference on the flow, ill just have to order some bio balls and sheet filter wool.

I may only go with two of those for now to see how the flow would be. The flow through 3 or 4 nozzels may get to weak but maybe not....

I found a slight issue which can be resolved. It deals with the top cover. The intake on the top cover comes down to far and will almost seal against the foam. No big deal I can cut the intake some more. Ill put up pictures soon.

Also the rings on the top cover that usually seal against the foam would need to be cut as well. A dremal with a tooth blade should work at this.

Maybe I am wrong but if you are adding more media then surely the flow will be reduced?

This is the main reason why many of us planted folks tend to remove some or all of the media from our filters because we don't want this reduction in flow. We are after max or as close to so that the circulation is good enough for CO2 and nutrient distribution.

If this is the case then this would probs be why the manufacturer didn't do this as they are trying to sell a filter with a certain throughput which if they had added more media would reduce the flow?

I myself have 2 baskets empty in my filter with media only in 2 of the 4.

Andy

You are right, more media will restrict the flow. You also have to look at the area available as well.

With full media in the center of the baskets, the area in which water can "flow" is reduced. The only areas the water can flow will be between the all the media. This will cause the flow to be redirected in many different directions and also cause some of the water to "stall". Since the center of the baskets are pretty small and with lots of media this can create a high velocity of flow around all the media but velocity is directly related to pressure which in this case would be restriction of flow. The more media there is the more of a pressure drop there is meaning more vacuum which means there is restriction. Velocity is good as long as there is a balance since velocity can actually help the water flow through the restriction since it now has lots of momentum. Problem being, we don't want high velocity through the bio media otherwise it will take twice as long for the bio to consume the toxins. Contact time is a very important factor with bio media which is why you want so much of it to increase the contact time. With lower velocity and more media, this should help drastically.

Have you seen the Fx5 vs Eheim 2080 Comparison? The Eheim with its 12L of media, large area and slower flow cycled a couple days sooner than the Fx5 with a faster flow, less area and only 6L of media. Now, try to think of how much faster the Fx5 could have cycled if the flow was reduced to that of the Eheim 2080. It would still take longer but should not have taken anywhere near as long as it did since the contact time would be increased with the slower flow. Just to get an idea of how much more flow there was in the Fx5 compaired to the Eheim 2080, the Fx5 flow 207 GPH MORE. Thats 0.46 cubic feet more per minute. Remember thats 12"x12"x12" water colum. In a 6.5" diameter water column thats about 2 feet per minute more (Online Calculator) with a total unrestricted flow of 5 FPM at 525 GPH. Doesn't seem like much and it actually is not untill you add the media which will restrict the flow more and cause it to speed up and with less volume output. So lets throw a number out there and say that with full media, that is equal to a 3" diameter column (remember throwing a number out there). That brings it up to 9 feet per minute more with a total flow of 24 feet per minute at 525 GPH.

The last part of that paragraph is not factual for our filters just an idea of how the media could effect the flow.

With this modification, you are drastically increasing the area in which the water can flow (more open areas around media) decreasing the restriction.
This could drop the unrestricted velocity of flow down to 1 FPM at 525 GPH. The "unrestricted" part is very important. Thats without anything in the filter. No baskets, no egg crate, no foam, nothing.

So yes you are correct but just can't forget about the increase in area that has been given.

I though the tube that is built into each basket was to make sure all the water was fed to the bottom of the cannister and then the water pumped back up through the media.

If you remove the baskets then you remove the integrated tube so I don't understand how it works then. Could it be that water goes in and straight out leaving stagnant water in the cannister (I know some will go but don't understand the physics of how your mod is making sure that water goes to the bottom and then pumps up.

Andy

As it originally worked, the water would flow down the intake tube to the bottom of the filter on the outside. Then the water would fill up the outside of the canister and move through the foam and than travel upward to fall down into the center of the baskets through the media and then move into the impeller which would pump the water up the output tube and to the tank.

With this modification, the intake tube is removed, causing the water to start getting filtered from the top of the canister and work its way down through the foam and through the media and continue to move toward the impeller which will pump it out through the output tube.

The impeller creates a "vacuum" in the entire cansiter and in the intake hose leading to the tank. Due to this vacuum, the water is pulled through the media and will always be flowing toward the impeller which creates pressure of the flow and pushed it back up into the tank. The pump does not pump (or pressurize) the water through the media, only after the water is moved through the impeller.

I seem to have kept the most important feature of the fx5 on the backburner where it should have been up front.

The 2 minute purge. The way it is right now, air will escape through the intake much easier than the output. Another reason why Hagen designed it the way they did. So I do have a fix for that and that is to make a small box out of acrylic and allow a small length of intake tube to sit in it. This box will fill with water during the filtration and purging and air should be be able to flow into the intake only the output.

This is my design with now but it may change as I look more closely into this.

I don't wan't anyone to attempt this at all if they don't plan on "recreating and rethinking" since I have not been able to test this at all. Its only been built on theory so far.

I got my foam in. 1" fine and very fine spunge. Cut to size, not enough room at the top of the filter so I either can cut the 2" thick foam down to 1" or lower the top tray and loose a liter or so of space....hmmm... Havn't decided...

My bio bale should be in by the end of this week.

Most reactions

Back