Fur Coat

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fly258

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My bogwood is growing a fur coat, see attatched pic. What is it? I have read through all the posts on brown alge but this seems to be something different. It only seems to be growing on both pieces of bogwood and virtualy disapears when out of the water.
Many thanks
Jim

I can't see the photo, but its probably fungus. Take it out of the tank and soak it in a strong salt solution for 48 hours, and then rinse, rinse, rinse in clean, dechlorinated water until its OK to go back in the tank. When you return it to the tank, pop some Melafix in the water.

Thanks Anna,
Sorry about the pic, it seems it was a tad too big, I have asked William to remove it and I'll try again once Iv'e reduced the size
Jim

2nd time lucky?? ;)
Jim

Attachments

• fungus.jpg
    fungus.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 34
Right, Iv'e soaked the bogwood in a strong solution of salt water and bleach for 24 hrs and rinsed it several times and blasted it with a power washer.
Basically thrashed it within an inch of its life. If there is anything living on it now the only thing that will get rid of it would be a direct hit with a nuclear bomb :)
Is there any way of testing to see if there is any bleach left on/in it?
I can still smell it a little. Would I be right in thinking that if I soaked it overnight in tap water and did a Ph test on the water and the reading was different to the norm (7.5) then there would still be bleach present?
Regards
Jim

I'd soak it in tap water that has been treated with a de-chlorinator like bio-safe. Might even go a little heavier than the directions say for the amount of water and then rinse it. That should neutralize any chlorine left from the bleach I believe.

-Curtiss

Most reactions

Back