Fungal bloom from new driftwood took over tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

A few years ago I had a lump of Mopani that went far more furry than the usual. Picked the brain of a fishy friend of mine who suggested adding a 100g bag of Fluval Clearmax to the filter or to hang it in the aquarium somewhere close to the offending wood.

It worked...not sure how, why or if it was actually anything to do with the Clearmax for sure but the fur went after a few days and never returned

So in my cupboard of "fishy things to try when all else fails", I have sachets of Clearmax waiting to be used when needed.
Interesting! I'll try that if I can't get a handle on it.

Even for tannins, you would be expecting to soak the wood for a week to a fortnight, to get rid of tannins...and a month to practically eliminate them...depending upon the wood.
Yeah...I'm a little too impatient for that. But the wood has been in the tank for 2 weeks now and I don't see any brown color to the water so it seems to have worked anyway.

I had a similar problem
Hey thanks for sharing your story. What a mess that was for you - sorry that happened. I don't think my wood fungus looks as nasty as that, so I'm going to see if it will still work. I've scrubbed it and sprayed it twice now, gravel vac'd and the tank looks tons better. We'll see if it lasts. As for the nitrites, I've removed the shrimp to keep them safe and will do water changes every day till it improves. Thanks for everyone's input!

Ehh. I mean you're right but I'm not the only one. 😁
I'm currently setting up my second tank.
Only yesterday I pulled my bits of wood from their barrel of water...they'd been there a whole 4 weeks.
Today, they went into the tank and water was added to the tank.
I've installed the heater and switched it on.
No tannins, but I still wouldn't be too surprised if there's a bloom on some of the wood tomorrow morning.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back