functional & versatile plant dams...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I've been trying to grow a few different floating plants, but most of my tanks are "over filtered" typically high flow filters... I've done up a couple damming methods, none of which have made me happy... Right now I'm using a small stainless rod ( like 1/8 inch ) between a pair of suction cups, I can adjust it to where it works, & I think if I had longer roots, I could make it work... but, with more immature plants ( shorter roots ), & doing water changes... I normally do 5 gallons at a time... syphon 5 gallons vacuuming gravel, fill back with my RO filtered water, draw a second & or third 5 gallon bucket... anyway the water level goes up & down & the floaters go over or under the wire, get pushed under the surface, & end up stuck on my filter intake...

I looked at this system...
but not sure how much gimmick, & how much actual function it would have...

right now I'm going to try a type of closed cell foam "noodle" ... I figure if I can cut it a tight friction fit, & they float the fit just has to hold it in place... if the fit is tight enough to hold it mostly under water I might get by without having to re-corral the floaters... these "noodles" being grey, & smaller diameter should work nicely...

what do you guys use to corral your floaters, if you have a higher volume filter???

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Get a length of clear plastic hose or airline.
User a joiner to join the ends together so you have a loop.
Tie a piece of string to the airline.
Tie the other end of the string to a suction cup or something in the tank that is on one side of the tank. Have the suction cup or string about half way down the glass.
Put floating plants in the loop, which should float on the surface.
When you do a water change, the string should allow the loop to go up and down as the water level changes in the aquarium.

I tried making a square with 4 elbows, but it kept twisting up, & didn't hold it's shape ( I was using silicone air line tubing... perhaps a more rigid tubing would work better )... I'd actually like the plants over the whole tank surface, except where the water falls & filter suctions are...

2 tanks I'm trying to establish floating plants in... 1st is a 55 gallon, with an Aquaclear 70 in each back corner, facing the front... so floaters could take over the whole tank, except a foot at each end... 2nd is a 45 gallon tall, that has a HOT magnum right now, but will be getting a Tidal 75, on one of the narrow ends... so that tank could have floating plants everywhere but about 6 inches in front of the filter... both tanks are the same thickness, so the same "device" could be used for both tanks, in all 3 spots...

Last edited:
plastic airline or clear plastic hose in a circle loop works best.

people have made them from straws or any number of things. you could use mosquito netting or plastic flywire to act as a barrier.

some people have made a big floating net to hold the plants in

Magnum, I gotta say that I enjoy your posts. You're obviously trying lots of new things and you ask interesting questions.

I've never really found a plant dam that works in a high flow tank, and in a low flow tank I don't need one. So, I tend to not keep floaters in my river tanks. Most fish that live in those habitats need exceptionally clear water anyway, so you'll probably be doing frequent, big water changes. (my rivertank gets about 75% once a week) So floaters aren't absolutely necessary.

I find that java ferns, willow moss, and most crypts will thrive in a high-flow tank.

These seem to be working….
IMG_4457.jpeg
IMG_4459.jpeg
IMG_4460.jpeg

Last edited:
Need more red root floaters in this tank, but 2 dams in this tank. containing the floaters to the middle of the tank, and away from the filter waterfalls, and suction tubes
IMG_4463.jpeg
IMG_4458.jpeg

Last edited:
Are they pool noodles
Round tubes of foam you give the kids to belt each other with when playing in the swimming pool

Good idea, well done. :)
The only drawback is when the water level drops during water changes. Then you will have to separate the plants back into their own sections.

These are grey, and only 1.5 inches in diameter, but otherwise the same as swimming noodles….( these were actually listed as use for crafting ) In experimenting, I stacked 2 of them, and could pull 5 gallons on water out at a time without messing with them, but then the noodle was more noticeable, but with only 1, and being friction fit, to keep it from moving around, I can easily adjust it down manually, as the water level goes down, during water changes … the one in the 1st picture is giant duckweed, and I was able to keep it all in its space with the dam

Most reactions

Back