Fry

newfishaddict

Fishaholic
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
508
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Edmonton , Canada
I have 40 three week old albino cories in a 10g, bare bottom, mature filter (on very low output), tank with high aeration. Yesterday I noticed fry coming out of my glow-light platy and moved the fish to a breeding enclosure in the same 10g. I now have 50 platy fry in the breeding enclosure.

1) Can I remove the platy fry from the enclosure and put them in with the cory fry? (The smallest cory fry is the same size as the new borne platies but the largest cory fry is very large, almost ¾”….

2) Are the largest cory fry going to become a danger to other smaller fry? (the difference between the largest cory fry and the smallest cory fry is massive!) I am a rookie with breeding though, perhaps this is normal…

3) I am predicting that my 10g is not big enough to raise 90 fry anyway, how big or how old are these fry going to be when they “overload” the tanks bio-filter capacity?

Note for clarity: 40 cory fry are 3 weeks old, 50 platys are 12hrs old….
 
there may be a possibility of selling them (or giving them) to the lfs if they will overstock your tank...

Im sure the lfs will be happy to have free fish to sell on as they have to buy them anyway?

Dunno - just a thought - i have given fish to the lfs before and they were happy to take them!
 
i wouldnt think that the corys would bother the platy fry, and anyway the platy fry would be to fast for them :D

if you dont want to keep all the fish you could sell them locally or some petshops will buy them off you or you could even give them to the petshop for free, thats what i did with my 18 guppy fry, and in return i had fish food :D
 
there may be a possibility of selling them (or giving them) to the lfs if they will overstock your tank...

Im sure the lfs will be happy to have free fish to sell on as they have to buy them anyway?

Dunno - just a thought - i have given fish to the lfs before and they were happy to take them!
Yes, good idea.

I have read that fry are best sold or given away at 3 months of age...that was part of my concern....

I willjoin the local aquarium club too, and give fish away BUT

My MAIN concern is the bio-filter capacity in the 10g, when will it be overloaded? Perhaps with daily water 10% changes this is not a concern?
 
corys are bottom feeders and prey on larve that live on the bottom.

so should pose no threat to the platy fry, i would worry possibly about a mini cycle in the tank...

Ask your lFS is they want to BUY your cories off you, they will take anything from half an inch upwards

ask around a few lfs and see who offers you the best price...
 
Ok, thanks for all the quick help.

I now need to know, how big of a tank do you need to raise 90 fry to 3/4"? I do have a 20 and 29g that could be converted in the next week or so....

How soon can I expect an mini cycle? Right now perhaps?

And should I remove the platys from the framed netted enclosure? Is there a reason not to perhaps>?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top