Fry - Gardneri Males!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Yeah
They sure are comming along nicely now. gar. Jos Plateau are a much more slender fish I found unlike gar. Makurdi which is more stockier and robust, I would even go as far as to say Jos Plateau are my favourite among the gar and gar spp. You will find as they mature the top and bottom rays of the caudal fins will become elongated a little wich also adds that little bit to the overall appearance of this particular species. Dark substrates (even black rubber car mats placed under the tanks) and surface vegetation will enhance the colours all the more.
Dont forget about the Australe pics when ready.
Regards
BigC

Thanks for the tip! I am not sure whether these fins will get elongated; in the pics I saw from Sam (who gave me the eggs) the fish didn-t have elongated fins.

About the australe: today I did the jamjar test, and yes, the largest specimens are becoming juvenile and some are starting to show yellow finnage. I did notice however, something that looks suspiciously like another gardneri male in there...... The australe don-t get red dots first, don-t they?! I wonder how that fry got into that container.....

At no moment in time did I mix the peat or anything. The only thing I can imagine is that an egg got into the javamoss, and that I moved the javamoss to the other container once the gardneris got bigger. I used the javamoss to provide them with infusoria as a complement food that would be available anytime for them.

Anyway, I will keep you posted, and will definitively put up some pics once they become fully coloured. Is there a way to slowly get them used to higher pH water? This would allow me to keep them in transparent water instead of the coffeebrown colour they are in now. I am sure their colours would be much more visible then, and pictures would also come out nicer.

So, it turns out that the larger 'australe' specimens are the 3 'lost' gardneris after a business trip. So I assume now that they somehow got into the other container. They are definitively smaller than the other gardneris but are quickly catching up.

this means that no australe is colouring up as yet.

I wonder whether I should separate them from the australe? They are definitively not ready to breed....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back