Fry dying Help

bigfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 20 litre tank with a filter and 50watt heater set at 26'C, but every morning i wake up to find dead babies laying on the gavel. But i cant figure out why :/ fed on baby flake twice daily and freeze dried brine shrimp twice a week, checked all water parametre and they are all at zero. No sign of disease that i can't see but the dead ones always have their side fins stuck out stiff (if thats any help)

I need some advice please and urgently.

Main question, what sort of fish fry, do you know that, as it may help some of the more experienced forumers to help you

What is your PH at. Although you said your parameters were at zero, if you could mention the PH, that may also help

If I remember rightly, fry need a slightly warmer water temperature, but answer the above and see what anyone else can come up with

Thanks Kryten i have guppy fry and my Ph is 7.3 you mentioned warmer water how much warmer as my tank is currently at 26'C should i increase it slightly?

26C os ok for the babys. Are they in a cycled tank ? what filteration is on it and how long have they been in there?

It might be worth bringing the pH down slightly, I try to keep all community fish at 7.0. Have you checked general and carbon water hardness? This is one check that some people do not check very regularly

Adjusting the ph in a fry tank is not recommended!!!!!!

As long as the water in the fry tank came completely from the spawning tank then this should not be a contributing factor to the fry deaths (unless the ph has crashed somehow!!)

CM

Tank is cycled my water parametres are at zero :) i've added more live plants to my tank so fry have more cover, the Ph is of the same as the community tank, but they are still dying. I have a sponge filter running 24/7. never had any probs before with my other broods so what am i oind wrong

Questions.

While these fry were developing within the mother i had an out break of mouth rot + fin rot in the community tank is it possible that the fry have been affected while developing inside the mother?

Can fry tolerate aquarium salt at an early age? or would it be best to raise them in fresh water until they reach a certain age?

Quick update my guppy fry are still dying, i've done a water change (added decholrinator to fresh), added an airstone but still no improvement.

Any suggestions of is happening, my tank has fully cycled and is 20 litres in size, with water temp of 26'C and live hornwort for fry to hide in and i've only got 8 guppy fry left from a brood of 18 and they have only started to die since sunday of last week

Water parametres:-

Ammonnia;- 0.1 mg/litre (has been from day 1)
Nitrite:- 0mg/litre
Nitrate:- 10mg/litre

Ph changed from 7.3 to 8.2 (? why)

HELP ME PLEASE

Hi bigfish,
I am no expert on this matter, but on another fourm I posted on, they offered some suggestions that seemed to make sense. I had 28 mickey mouse platys born dec. 26, and I have only 3 left as of today. It was suggested that they have a smaller tank. Mine was 10 gal. Raising them to begin with in something smaller, even such as the live bearer holding tanks you can hang on the side of the tank will enable them to eat without having to search all over such a large tank. Hope this helps somewhat.

Grace,

Good suggestion, but I believe a 20 litre tank is only around 4 us gallons. By no means to big!!

When I was into breeding fish, I would start the fry out in 2.5 gallon tanks then go to 10 gallon after about 6 weeks!!

CM

Hi bigfish, I had a similar problem with my guppy fry a while back the back half of their body would cease to function and they would have troubles swimming before after about 3 days dying :( I lost about 80% of that brood to this weird illness, it did not seem to be contagious and now after doing a bit of research there is no cure for it and you just have to let nature take its course.

Thanks william i only got 2 guppy fry left out of 18 due to this illness, it's strange how it come about because my two other broods didn't suffer from any other ill effects.

Is this illness gentic? coz the mother that this brood came from is now pregnant again, what are the chances of this happening again william?

bigfish said:
Thanks william i only got 2 guppy fry left out of 18 due to this illness, it's strange how it come about because my two other broods didn't suffer from any other ill effects.

Is this illness gentic? coz the mother that this brood came from is now pregnant again, what are the chances of this happening again william?
Are you noticing your babies struggling to swim? It is genetic, but I think the gene is recessive and so it will only show up if you have 2 of the same gene, one from each parent, baring in mind that each parent has two (different or the same) copies of the gene which split (meiosis) into the egg for female and sperm for male fish, (this is how you get the genes from your parents, one half from your mother the other from your father.) The parent fish will not show the symptoms as it is reccesive and they only have 1 or 0 of their 2 of their genes with the problem gene!

You can tell that the mother has at one mutated gene and one regular because she doesn't suffer from the illness, it is reccessive and doesn't show up. If she had both regular genes then none of the offspring would have the disease as at least one of their two genes would be regular and so the disease (reccessive - needs 2 mutated genes to show up) will not show.

How many guppies do you have, with me, it only occured once however I had several males and many females and so I guess that odds of the breeding between the pair happening again were low. As it is reccessive, you can draw a table to work out the exact probablility although when you have many fish it is difficult and takes time and cross breeding to work out the genetics of the parents.

So a short answer is, yes it probably will happen again (it didn't with me though), but being a recessive gene there should always be more broods which survive then ones which die. I hope this has helped you somewhat!!

I have 8 females and about 9 males i think, the mother must have been pregnant when i bought her because she was only in my tank for two weeks and popped them all out in a couple of hours, at the moment she is ill bless her it must of been too much of a strain for her, She is under treatment with melafix coz she got a bacterial infection on her fin.

My family think i'm totally gag gag with my fish, i want to turn my garage or rent one so that i can move my collection out there so i can get a bigger tank for them and set up a breeding hatchery unit as well but dunno where to start.

Any ideas william?

Well then the odds of it happening again are very low :) I'm afraid theres no cure for Multiple Fish Tank Syndrome either!! It will start by affecting your wallet!! :hyper: :hyper:

Most reactions

Back