The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hi!
So out of the 15 or so guppy fry I found a few weeks ago, I have only one left.. T-T
However, I have noticed that the fry has gotten bigger and hadnā€™t been chased by anybody else in the tank.
I was wondering, since the guppy in the tank is female, around what age can you tell the gender of the fry or itā€™s type/strain of guppy if at all?
I have noticed some black coloration from the base of the tail up the sides of the fry.
I will post pictures with the fry circled.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 74F5612B-C033-4022-8825-75DDB24EB64D.jpeg
    74F5612B-C033-4022-8825-75DDB24EB64D.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 320
  • 51125CF3-378A-406D-86F8-CF9BCD8FBFF3.jpeg
    51125CF3-378A-406D-86F8-CF9BCD8FBFF3.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 307
You can usually tell the gender when itā€™s around 2 months by looking at the bottom fin (fan for female, pointy for male) my fry has only just got its base colours at 6 months old and is starting to get some markings.

Itā€™s also best to get a breeder tank for it till itā€™s big enough not to be eaten by the other fish.

Thank you!
The reason I donā€™t have a breeder tank is because Iā€™m not able to keep all the fry I get, so I let whatever happens happen, not that I donā€™t want any fry to survive, I just currently cannot provide for all of them in a separate tank.
Thank you though!

I understand, but if you change your mind you donā€™t need a separate tank https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073P47WBL/?tag=< thatā€™s the breeder tank I had it just helps separate them, theyā€™re in the same water so no need for an extra filter. I may have worded it wrong by saying tank but I didnā€™t know how else to put it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Back