Fruits And Veggies Ok To Feed?

bunlet

New Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2006
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Southern Ontario, Canada
So far I've heard green peas, cucumbers, and I saw at petsmart an orange. I'm assuming all veggies and fruits are ok to feed to my fish. But, was wondering if anything would be harmful. And, what fruits and veggies do you guys feed your fish? I have some bananas, avocados, and tomatoes I'd like to try to feed them.
 
anything green is good for them but stay away from the acidic fruits
 
OK so is just the tiniest bit of satsuma good for them.

The reason I ask is because recently I found that my gerbils would get ill if they ate a large amout of citrus fruit but if they only got a samll bit it provices vitamin C which obviously good for them. Is this relevant to fish?
 
OK so is just the tiniest bit of satsuma good for them.

The reason I ask is because recently I found that my gerbils would get ill if they ate a large amout of citrus fruit but if they only got a samll bit it provices vitamin C which obviously good for them. Is this relevant to fish?

i think its more about the citric acid changing the waters ph - correct me if im wrong

oh and my mollies and loaches love a slice of cucumber :) dont leave it in the water for more than 6-8 hours though as it starts to break up and can clog the filter
 
would it be ok to attatch the cucumber to some catgut and then let it sink with that , so its easier to pull it out later. maybe a good tip for peeps so they dont have to get there hands wet retreaving the leftovers.

i also heard from a mate of mine that spinach is good for the fish too. quickly blanched to soften it up and then held in a buldog clip and submerged with catgut in the tank so they can pick at it..

and peas make good blow footballs apparently. and they love them.

i am yet to try all this out , i am off to the lfs to get some different foods and then to the local supermarket to get some greens.

:drool:
 
I've had good results with peas, spinach, chard, broad beans and broccoli. Very occasionally, I feed TINY slivers of banana, apple or pear, but like other posters, I would stay off citrus fruits as they really are very acid. With fruits, they're also quite high in sugar which might be another reason to go easy on them.
 
I've had good results with peas, spinach, chard, broad beans and broccoli. Very occasionally, I feed TINY slivers of banana, apple or pear, but like other posters, I would stay off citrus fruits as they really are very acid. With fruits, they're also quite high in sugar which might be another reason to go easy on them.


does the red chard add any colour to the fish ?... or would it be just grabbing at straws here...?

would be interesting if it added any red tinge. -_-
 

Most reactions

Back
Top