Frozen Foods.

Nick16

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jul 31, 2008
Messages
3,184
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Surrey
hi i am new to the frozed food scene and would like some info. i have bought some daphnia (24 blocks) and would like to know how to feed it. do i break the blocks up or leave them whole? do they float or sink? what do i do with them? how often do you feed them, i was thinking twice a week maybe 3 times? how long does it keep in the freezer? thanks. sorry for all the Q's but i am new to the frozen foods!
 
I feed my fish frozen foods three times a week. I don't have enough to eat a whole cube so I cut off a chunk and thaw it in a, fish tank only, cup of tank water. I then dump the water and thawed food back into the tank. The little buggers chow down on it.
 
ok thanks. i will try putting a bit in. how long does it take to thaw? does it float or sink?
 
I cut of small chunks because of how little they eat. Usually by the time I wrap up the left overs and get them back in the freezer I can break up the chunk into whatever it used to be. Bigger chunks will take longer to thaw.

It sinks pretty much like flake food.
 
I just slice thin slivers, put it in the cup of tank water and give it a bit of a stir. When everything is broken up I consider it thawed. Especially with Hikari Daphnia because a very little bit is actually quite a bit of food.

One thing I would recommend, a few sources have mentioned that Daphnia shouldn't be fed too often (only once or twice a week), because they're a bit fatty. Also, because Daphnia is a freshwater aquatic species, it is capable of housing parasites and diseases. If you're feeding small carnivorous fish (like me), Frozen Brine shrimp are good nutrition and very unlikely to house any parasites or disease because they come from extremely salty water conditions that normal fish cannot survive in.


*Edit* It's very unlikely that a frozen food will contain a live disease or parasite, but apparently some people have had bad experiences. It's hard to prove 100% one way or another.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top