Frontosa`s At Bottom Of Tank!

australia

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i just got 6 frontosa`s about 5 hours ago, after putting them into the tank they are all hiding in the rocks, why would they be doing this? they are not realy swimming around at all, they are just floating/sitting near the bottom of the tank! i have seen a little aggression though thats all, they dont want to eat:( what would it be and what can i do?

i just got 6 frontosa`s about 5 hours ago, after putting them into the tank they are all hiding in the rocks, why would they be doing this? they are not realy swimming around at all, they are just floating/sitting near the bottom of the tank! i have seen a little aggression though thats all, they dont want to eat:( what would it be and what can i do?

I'm guessing they're only small? I'd say they're just stressed out and hiding, I don't have much experience with frontosa specifically but I'd wait it out at least a day or two before worrying.

Fronts are a little like Oscars when it comes to temperament and they don't like being moved. They may take a couple of days to settle in but thats perfectly normal - they are probably just sulking. :good:

Fronts are a little like Oscars when it comes to temperament and they don't like being moved. They may take a couple of days to settle in but thats perfectly normal - they are probably just sulking. :good:

okay thanks alot, i was realy stressing :sick:

i have been breeding haps/mbuna`s for a while though atm i dont know alot about these fish is there anything else to know about them?

i turned the fish lights on and the Frontosa`a showed a black colour on there body and they are all next to each other on the bottom of the tank!

Like most African cichlids - Fronts change colour for various reasons, such as stress or dominant/submissive behaviour. They will take some time to settle in and switching the lights on startles most fish - it's like somebody suddenly opening the curtains when you've just woken up on a bright sunny day. :hyper:

Here's a useful link: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_frontosa.php

Like most African cichlids - Fronts change colour for various reasons, such as stress or dominant/submissive behaviour. They will take some time to settle in and switching the lights on startles most fish - it's like somebody suddenly opening the curtains when you've just woken up on a bright sunny day. :hyper:

Here's a useful link: [URL="http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_frontosa.php"]http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_frontosa.php[/URL]

okay that is very interresting, i didnt know they can live for 25 years and i didnt know they dont start to breed entill fully mature!

thanks alot buddy :good:

I can't agree more. I have two in a tank of Cichlids and at first I had the same fear. After about 4-7 days, they began to open up. I also was worried that they were sick or unable to adapt to the newly adjusted territory, but upon feeling out the environment and adapting to their new home, they now move at ease. I wish the same luck to you.

- Eric 8)

I can't agree more. I have two in a tank of Cichlids and at first I had the same fear. After about 4-7 days, they began to open up. I also was worried that they were sick or unable to adapt to the newly adjusted territory, but upon feeling out the environment and adapting to their new home, they now move at ease. I wish the same luck to you.

- Eric 8)

okay thanks again :good:

- Eric 8)

okay thanks again :good:

My Frontosa`a are still at the bottom of the tank! it has been 6 days! they look normal but they just are not eating or moving mutch at all :crazy:

why havent my frontosa`a started swimming around?

i have 4 fronts in my tank at the moment and they are all doing the same thing..that is till i turn off the filter to do maintenance,then they are swimming around like they should....i'm thinking that the water is too turbulent for them...
dunno if this is the same problem as in your tank but u can only try and slow the water flow as long as it doesn't compromise water quality..hope this works

Most reactions

Back