Friends for Zebra Danios

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ken Sauer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought 8 Zebra Danios for my 125 Gallon tank. They are now the only ones in the tank and seem to be having a ball. I was planning to have a true community tank, but I'm thinking that fish are probably more happy just with their kind--causes less stress. I plan to add 8 peppered corys and then I'm thinking like 8 golden danios. What do you all think? Thanks.

I bought 8 Zebra Danios for my 125 Gallon tank. They are now the only ones in the tank and seem to be having a ball. I was planning to have a true community tank, but I'm thinking that fish are probably more happy just with their kind--causes less stress. I plan to add 8 peppered corys and then I'm thinking like 8 golden danios. What do you all think? Thanks.
In a 125 you could keep so many of either of both those species. You could get 50 corydoras and 30+ zebra danios.

Check out this piece from an article I just read. I wasn't aware that golden danios are a genetically enhanced fish: Some commercial producers have felt the need to increase this fish’s desirability by 'tweaking' them. Expect to see long-finned Zebras (and Leopards), as well as albino strains, ‘golden’ strains, and even a fledgling balloon variant. It goes without saying that such a purchase is a matter of taste — or lack of.

Long fin leopard danios are pretty and will even schoal with the zebras.

125 is plenty big for a variety of Danio species. I found also a very compatible friend of theirs is the green line Rasbora. Almost 3 years ago I bought three ( all they had)..and the female was still going ,alone as the males disappeared over the years and she was not too happy just a few months ago. When I put in a half dozen Giant Danio's? (young) she changed...schooled with them..chased them and vice versa. Not hiding anymore..she's mid center tank now!
Yes,If I see them for sale ever again,I might buy ten..as they are great little fish.

I bought 8 Zebra Danios for my 125 Gallon tank. They are now the only ones in the tank and seem to be having a ball. I w3as planning to have a true community tank, but I'm thinking that fish are probably more happy just with their kind--causes less stress. I plan to add 8 peppered corys and I'm thinking like 8 golden danios. What do you all think? Thanks.

The only time I've seen danio "look" comfortable was in large groups, they seem very spastic otherwise. Personal opinion.

I once bought a lone "glo" zebra danio because it was alone in a tank at my LFS forever.

Lollypop was, and hopefully still is, pink and yellow. It got along fine, I guess, with my minnows as far as aggression goes...but my minnows group flow was interupted. Then I kept it in a tank with a large Mystery snail and a couple random tetras that remained after my Great Grean Neon Tetra Tragedy of 2019.

Lollypop, ever the zippy one, ended up getting overweight because I overfed trying to make sure the two tetras got some. The neons didn't make it. Hard lessons.

I really needed to shut that tank down so my LFS took Lollypop back, put her (?) on a diet, and about the same time got a new shipment of "glo" fish. I visited Lollypop for a few weeks and felt great about how she was finally in a group with others and she looked so happy....and then one day she was gone!

Turns out a little girl came to get a fish and picked out Lollypop out of all the others.
The thing is she took JUST Lollypop!
I have to laugh.

Sorry for the tangental response, I'll never forget sweet spastic Lollypop!

I like your idea of species only and admire you for considering it. Even if you have q community tank it sounds like you'll have room for a big group! Can't wait for pictures ♡

The only time I've seen danio "look" comfortable was in large groups, they seem very spastic otherwise. Personal opinion.

I once bought a lone "glo" zebra danio because it was alone in a tank at my LFS forever.

Lollypop was, and hopefully still is, pink and yellow. It got along fine, I guess, with my minnows as far as aggression goes...but my minnows group flow was interupted. Then I kept it in a tank with a large Mystery snail and a couple random tetras that remained after my Great Grean Neon Tetra Tragedy of 2019.

Lollypop, ever the zippy one, ended up getting overweight because I overfed trying to make sure the two tetras got some. The neons didn't make it. Hard lessons.

I really needed to shut that tank down so my LFS took Lollypop back, put her (?) on a diet, and about the same time got a new shipment of "glo" fish. I visited Lollypop for a few weeks and felt great about how she was finally in a group with others and she looked so happy....and then one day she was gone!

Turns out a little girl came to get a fish and picked out Lollypop out of all the others.
I have to laugh.

I like your idea of species only and admire you for considering it. Even if you have q community tank it sounds like you'll have room for a big group! Can't wait for pictures ♡
Thanks!!! I love the story about "Lollipop." That is too cool.

If you wanted offspring? Then keep an aquarium with only White CLouds and lots of plants,preferably Java Moss. They will spawn and with an established tank,the young fry will survive..feed them powdered foods,boiled egg yolk..and you will have an aquarium of WCs of all sizes.
Also very small WC's have a neon stripe..stand out from adults.

If you wanted offspring? Then keep an aquarium with only White CLouds and lots of plants,preferably Java Moss. They will spawn and with an established tank,the young fry will survive..feed them powdered foods,boiled egg yolk..and you will have an aquarium of WCs of all sizes.
Thanks

I have to laugh.

So, if they are spastic, does that mean they are unhappy?

I did this last summer to supply the LFS. Sold back 200, a great little money earner. Had a 250 liter tank, it was great WC are lovely on the morning sun

So, if they are spastic, does that mean they are unhappy?
Well I can't say for sure :D
I only had one, and compared to my minnows Lollypop was all over the place.
At my local fish store whenever I see them in groups, especially large ones, they are mellow. Probably just a comfort thing? More of their own...how are your 8 doing?
I imagine they are VERY happy in that size tank. Are they swimming all together?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back