Freshwater Sump

lordtrini

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 28, 2006
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have planted and my 72 Gallon Bow front is cycling... I am thinking about adding a 29 gallon sump to the set up....

I think i can create a partition in the sump to add some addtional filtration in the following order...

  1. A "sock" filter
  2. Bio Balls
  3. Riccia Filter (in this area i will grow a giant ball of riccia as to condition the water further...)
  4. Open water with return pump, heater, CO2

I have a question...
Seeing that the water enters the sump by gravity.... what will happen when electricity goes (a flood)... how can i prevent this...

First... is a Fresh water sump a good idea... i think it...
B... how can i prevent the flood....
 
Yes they are great we use them all the time for our display tanks.

As for riccia theirs not much point, if you grew it over the whole surface it would be better and then your need to light it as well.
I would just stick to filter wool at first to polish the water and then loads of bio balls and stuff to culture the nitrobacter and nitrosomosa on.
 
I have a question...
Seeing that the water enters the sump by gravity.... what will happen when electricity goes (a flood)... how can i prevent this...

First... is a Fresh water sump a good idea... i think it...
B... how can i prevent the flood....
by using an over flow wier
 
depends which method your using to get the wsater to the sump.

im going to start building my marine sump soon and will be using a durso with a wier. this will mean only 1/2 inch of water will go to the sump if the electric gets turned off. ive aloud upto 1 1/2 of water to flow into the sump in a powercut however my sump will the same size as my main tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top