Freshwater Planted To Fowlr Marine!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mr Miagi

Veins are flowing with SW, now going back to FW!
Reaction score
It has begun! Here are the pics of the process.

What I had created before (I sold the fish for store credit, you will be sorely missed guys/gurls :-( ):
Now2.jpg

I started filling with RO from my new 4 stage RO/DI Unit from PSI, thanks Peter! :good:
DSC04347.jpg

Here is the finished product of three days work, with a fine layer of aragonite sand in the bottum, my trusty Lee's air driven Skimmer going, which has been pulling alot of colour form the water, and some small chunks of LR rubble to try and get some of the beneficial tube worms in the sand.

DSC04348.jpg

Tommorrow, im driving 160Kms too Burra in SA's North to collect 40Kgs of primium grade LR form a mate (Thanks alot Roop) for FREE! Im also getting Mushrooms, a pair of large clowns, 7 chromis, snails, live sand, all for free, and another 3ft tank for $100AUS. :shout: Im also bringing back a huge assortment of livestock for other fellow reefers here in Adelaide! Cant wait!

I might be nackered, as its going to be a long day. I might not get pics up tommorrow, but deffinately by Tuesday! :good:

Wow!!! Looks like fun and it looks like it'll turn out great. I hope it continues to go well for you. Keep posting pictures, I love seeing people's tanks come to life!

Wow!!! Looks like fun and it looks like it'll turn out great. I hope it continues to go well for you. Keep posting pictures, I love seeing people's tanks come to life!

Thanks Kowalski, will post pics as it progresses.

Looks good MrM. What fish are you going for in the FOWLR? a dwarf lion or two from the Denrochirus genus would look cool in there.

Thanks andy. Im transferring my Dwarf Lion who is in my 20G ATM into the FOWLR, and im getting a pair of Clowns, who are large, they will go in their for the time being. Im pretty sure ill put my Blue Green Chromis into my 20G after I remove the Lion! :good: After that, im not sure, whatever takes my fancy, and will eventually be reef-safe, as im planning to buy T5's for it in the future. Maybe a Fu-Manchu! :D

funny, i actually went from fowlr to freshwater planted.... the lfs got a damn steal on my live rock - but everything in my tank right now was 'free' in essence....

now i just have to get more fish :(

Looks great Miagi. :) Can't wait to see the new fishies - I love the look of saltwater tanks and stock but don't have the time/money/knowledge to set one up.

But free LR... makes me wish I still lived in Adelaide. :(

Thanks guys for your comments! SamUK and Splish, yes, well, its not everyday you come across free LR, but I was a member of the right society at the right time! :hyper: Heres updates! All stock in and eatin'!

I drove to Burra, around 160kms norrth of where I live, drove back to Adelaide, and back to my place. It was a whole lotta drivin'! :S When I got the stock home from Burra, one clown was upside down, swimming in circles. I was stressin out mega, but it was a lack of oxygen. I put in an air stone from my air driven Skimmer, (good old Lee's LOL) and they eventually came around when I started acclimitisation. Phew! The chromis were breathing heavily, but they wernt as bad as the clowns.

Thanks to a mate Scooby, on delivery of his goods, I also got two free corals, a large Lobophyllia (yellow) for my reef and a large finger leather! Thats in the FOWLR until I figure out where to place it in the reef LOL! Anyways, on with pics!

Full-tank shot
DSC04477.jpg

Male Clown:
DSC04464.jpg

Female Clown:
DSC04456.jpg

The Pair:
DSC04455.jpg

Peak-aboo!
DSC04440.jpg

Looks awesome ! :good: amazing chance but great new challenge.

Looks awesome ! :good: amazing chance but great new challenge.

Thanks Bloo! :D Im excited. Shouldnt be tooo much of a new challenge, ive got a reef already. Im just looking forward to the options its opening up for me, IE fish wise. My Lionfish will now go into the FOWLR so I can add smaller fish into my reef! :good:

Looks much better.

Are you able to get any of the dwarf morays out there in Oz? Some only get to about 8" in the wild, so should live nicely in there. The golden moray (Gymnothorax melatremus)is very nice: (Picture from www.vibrantsea.net)

golden28_anilao12.jpg

And only gets to 7.9" in the wild. Should be a nice colourful addition.

My final advice, if you can, try and find a yellow fuzzy dwarf lion. Very rare, but look stunning. Or else the zebra lion (Dendrochirus zebra) as the Zebras resemble the more classic volitans shape.

All it needs now to recreate the 'Nemo' tank is a treasure chest with bubbles. :p

Just joking. Looks stunning! Beautiful fish...

Thanks guys. Andy, Dwarf MOrays? Hmm, never seen any. Im not sure I can really stock it up with much more. Ive got the two large clowns, 3 large chromis, and a soon to be relocated Dwarf Lion fish. Ill see, im getting a third tank on the 24th so Ive gotta wait and see whats going on! :p Crazy times!

Thanks SPlish, nemo tank? Hahah, no thanks! :lol:

The FOWLR looks awesome but it's a bit of a shame that a beautiful planted tank had to bit the dust to make way for it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back