Freshly Planted Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tunagirll

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello! I thought I'd post this here, although my main post is in the beginner's forum. This is my first proper foray into live plants and I've been reading, thought I was ready but trying not to panic now they are in!

Details:
25L tank
8W aquaone fluoro
aquaone 100 filter
55w heater set to 26 degrees C
use rainwater, it's relatively soft and pH is 7.4
Small gravel substrate with a little sand

Plants:
Blyxa
Crested java fern
Crypt
red rotala
anubia
us fissidens

The anubia and java fern are mounted on driftwood and the fissidens is on a moss mat. Everything else is fixed into the gravel. The rotala and the blyxa get most of the light, and the crypt is well shaded.

I'm wondering what I can do to help make sure they stay healthy!
I've put a dose of trace minerals into the water, a little bit of plant fert. I have flourish excel coming in a couple of days along with my new betta and shrimp.

Any suggestions would be great!

I suggest you show us a wee picture! 
tongue2.gif

Beautiful tank, post a pic in the nano tank section too, that's where I have put my 23 litre scape so folk can see what they can achieve with smaller tanks also!

Is your boy the profile pic? Handsome chap if so :D

Betta pics are a must also :good:

Very nice indeed!

There's not a lot, if anything, I'd change about that setup!

It's quite lovely actually. I particularly like the bog wood arrangement with the plants on top.

Just one thing, though, the rock under the tree with the orange streaks...those aren't lines of metallic stuff are they?

Thank you :) It's my first layout.

That stone is to my eye a shale, the discolouration is weathering of iron oxides in the layers. All good :)

Iron Oxides can be beneficial in some ways for getting rid of nasty Phosphates but I'd keep an eye on it just incase. It's basically rust, and I'm not sure I'd have it in my tank...

Well I have cherry shrimp coming so I guess better safe than sorry, easy enough to find another basalt clast.

Most reactions

Back