Fresh Start Help :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HarryALot

Reaction score
Hi all,
Earlier today I purchased my first fish tank for setting up a tropical aquarium. So far everything has gone smooth but i've just started cycling the tank and need a few tips on going about it. I'm hoping to buy an API Test kit and bottled ammonia very soon (when I have the money) to begin fishless cylcing it.

My tank description:
Biopro 143litre (36 gallons I think)
Overhead filter
A pretty powerful light - unsure on details on that :p
Biopro heater (awaiting replacement)

Due to my heater breaking upon opening,thats something else I am going to buy very soon - long before I plan on putting fish in of course.

Some of my concerns I wondering are as follows:
I have planted several live plants and my filter seems to oxygenate the water very well - will this damage the plants in any way?
And how do I know when recording the level of nitrate, nitrate etc that my tank is safe to add fish?
Can I begin cycling it without the heater as it should arrive in a few days?

Thankyou very much and I would appreciate the help :D

I shall upload some more pictures asap if I can figure out how to reduce file size :/

Thanks Harry :D

I love it when a noob asks a lot of questions before adding fishes!!

Live plants will do fine with your filter.

It's safe to add fish when your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and something above 0 for nitrates. This needs to happen I believe 12 hours after adding ammonia. Please read in the "New to Fishkeeping?" link below my signature to find the correct times.

I'd say go right ahead and start cycling without the heater, since there's no fish in there anyway, and that's mostly who the heater is for.

:hi: aboard, Harry!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back