What's new

Found a shrimp on my daughters floor!??

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This morning I was woken by a screech, I shot out of bed to my 5 year old pointing at something saying eww a big bug, when I inspected it was a crusty shrimp with no legs or not much of anything else left...
Instantly I thought how on earth is this possible, can they hop that far out of a tank.. My water top level is about 4 inches from the tank lid.. Maybe during a water change? Anyway my biggest question is... It was pink? My shrimps are all grey I thought cooked shrimps were pink. Nobody likes seafood either so it must be a tank one haha.. But why the colour?? And how did it escape that high! Pic below

Attachments

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Dead shrimps always look pink, like they've been cooked.

Shrimps are expert escape artists and once they are out of the tank they can walk a surprising distance. They can climb up heater/filter cables, for instance, and out of the hole that the cables go though. Once the venture out, they can't find their way back.

OP
Tttay89

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I did not know that about the pink colouring if dead, that was my main confusion... It is quite a distance aswell I'd say a good 20 human steps... Only thing I can think of is my cats had a play... They all hang out at the top near my air pump cable . And when I do changes usually they all move down with the water level, obviously not this time!

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was preparing to add some new shrimp to one of my tanks and one jumped out of the container. I didn't see it until it was too late :(

Barry Tetra

Fishaholic
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
My amano shrimp ever jump out of the tank and about to go on the road which is 15 meters away from my house

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I can always spot a dead shrimp in my red cherry shrimp tank because they turn pink.