Foreign/Strange creature in shrimp tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Was gazing into my tank today as you do... Saw a couple of these! Pretty creepy crawly. Some kind of invertebrate but large, fast growing as they are larger than my cherry shrimp and have never seen em before.

SORRY I don't have a professional camera but shall invest in one purely for these moments lol. For now, my camera phone was extra crappy but available... You can catch decent glimpses. Please check it out :) would appreciate your time.

It is clear coloured, looks like a beetle or something. Scurries quite fast.

They move so QUICKLY that you can see them scurrying along the bottom edge in the first part of the video, all I can see clearly in the camera is same in person,..is enough to see they are not shrimp, their body shape, it does not get slimmer toward the back. There is no tail, they move more like an insect I'd recognise on land than shrimp. So far, I think I may have seen one swim a bit, landing on the sand but unsure if it was one of em as I have cross bred transparent shrimp too. Mostly I seen them on the sand.

Please see if you can identify it or the family of what it might be. You have identified copepods in my shrimp tank so I imagine more experienced crowd must know.

Should I be concerned, remove them, use any product? How likely they are a pest or dangerous to my shrimp or eco system?

Thanks alot for all of your ideas.
Sorry again for quality.

Looks like some sort of amphipod....net one out of the tank, put into a small dish for better ID

Looks like some sort of amphipod....net one out of the tank, put into a small dish for better ID
I was considering this. Will do when I have time & post better pics and video here. Was hoping it might be simple maybe lol good reminder to buy magnifying glass right now.... Thanks

Looks like a freshwater isopod to me. They shouldn’t harm your shrimp. I would be thrilled if I found some in my aquarium. I love all the tiny aquatic creatures one would find in a good ecosystem. Compare what you’re seeing, which is much better than your video I am sure, and see if you agree, just do a search on “freshwater isopod” and read up on them. Did you harvest some plants recently from a local waterway? Perhaps someone sold you some plants they retrieved from a local waterway. Just keep an eye on things and as long as your shrimp aren’t negatively affected I would enjoy your unexpected aquatic addition. Very cool.

Most reactions

Back