FM cichlids have bred!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SAChichlidLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So this morning I just found out that my firemouths have bred on this small piece of driftwood and are heavily defending it, so far looking at way over 100 eggs and I'm shocked as I've only had them just over a month so this is very interesting. Do any of you know any good fry feeds? I've read many mixed opinions on what to feed them with some being live brineshrimp and others suggesting with pre made fry foods. Some also suggested that the parents will actually feed the fry? Quite unsure on that subject anyways they are both very good parents and so far have done a great job! Weirdly enough the other cichlids don't seem to be interested in the eggs same with the catfish however I do have a 11 inch floating breeder tank coming tomorrow as I'm worried about my synodontis seeing an easy lunch! Problem with the floating tank is I don't think it would be wise to house the mother in there aswell as it would be too small so I'm actually thinking to just keep them all together and hope for the best!

Here's the mother and the father with the eggs!

Attachments

• Mother and Father firemouth.jpg
    Mother and Father firemouth.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Mother and father firemouth pic 2.jpg
    Mother and father firemouth pic 2.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 59
Proud (future) parents....nice pics
Thanks so much! They are haha, they are actually not too aggressive with the other fish but they do flare at anyone who gets even a tiny bit too close haha ? No actual biting or jaw locking though which I was really shocked by because I originally wanted to move the eggs and parents to a new tank in case they get too aggressive but I wouldn't wanna stress them anymore :)

Thanks so much! They are haha, they are actually not too aggressive with the other fish but they do flare at anyone who gets even a tiny bit too close haha ? No actual biting or jaw locking though which I was really shocked by because I originally wanted to move the eggs and parents to a new tank in case they get too aggressive but I wouldn't wanna stress them anymore :)
Hopefully, things stay cool, calm, and collected....but I would have a backup plan, just in case ;)

Congratulations - that is so exciting!! I used to have a breeding pair of fire mouths and the male has HHHUUUUGGGGEEE - easily 7 inches long and the female was about 5 inches - when they laid eggs they laid 200-300 and were very adept parents. If I can find the video, I'll post it later of all their fry.

I did notice that when fed well, Firemouth fry seemed to grow faster than I expected them to. I fed them a diet of BBS and then when they got a bit bigger, Omega One Cichlid Flake & Ocean Nutrition's Spirulina flake.

Feed them one week on egg yolk then onto newly hatched brine shrimp. and finely ground flake food. You can grind some algae discs for them as well. Egg yolk as in this thread;

Congratulations - that is so exciting!! I used to have a breeding pair of fire mouths and the male has HHHUUUUGGGGEEE - easily 7 inches long and the female was about 5 inches - when they laid eggs they laid 200-300 and were very adept parents. If I can find the video, I'll post it later of all their fry.

I did notice that when fed well, Firemouth fry seemed to grow faster than I expected them to. I fed them a diet of BBS and then when they got a bit bigger, Omega One Cichlid Flake & Ocean Nutrition's Spirulina flake.
That's awesome! Thanks so much and wow I hope my boy reaches a size like that haha (I just hope he calms down soon as he's causing a few problems haha)

I'll look into all these feeds thankyou!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back