Fly eggs as fish food..?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bruce Leyland-Jones

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
So what's the current thinking on this?
I used to be able to visit local fish shops and buy bags of live daphnia, bloodworm and even clean tubifex.
No more, it seems. :(

We also used to use fly eggs, (harvested from old dog food during the summer months especially) and maggots, chopped, of course.
Obviously, all were free from pesticides and other potential toxic chemicals.
Then the rumour went around that fly eggs would hatch in fish bellies, with unpleasant consequences.
(Given what fish normally eat in the wild, including insect eggs, I found this hard to swallow).

So what's the current thinking on this?
I used to be able to visit local fish shops and buy bags of live daphnia, bloodworm and even clean tubifex.
No more, it seems. :(

We also used to use fly eggs, (harvested from old dog food during the summer months especially) and maggots, chopped, of course.
Obviously, all were free from pesticides and other potential toxic chemicals.
Then the rumour went around that fly eggs would hatch in fish bellies, with unpleasant consequences.
(Given what fish normally eat in the wild, including insect eggs, I found this hard to swallow).
Guess it‘s easier to buy frozen cubes and use Bug Bites!

I don't think they would hatch not a thing, put it down to a myth.

I used to feed garden worms to my Cichlids. Catching garden worms was fun, I used to get a 10 liter bucket of water and put some Potassium Permanganate into it the throw it on the lawn the worms would come out of the ground completely clean, a quick rinse under the tap, yummy.

It's unlikely the eggs would hatch in a fish's stomach. My big concern with fly eggs is the bacteria on them. The eggs are usually laid in rotting meat and that is full of bacteria. Unless the eggs can be cleaned, the fish could get sick from bad bacteria.

If you had fruit flies, you could use their eggs because they are laid in fruit.

Ant eggs are sometimes used as fish food. So are aphids, just tap them off roses into a bucket. Swarms of flying midges can be caught with a fine mesh net and put in a bag and then frozen and used later on. Mosquitoes and mozzie larvae are good foods. Weevils can be grown in bins of flour or grains.

Actually, most animals and birds love pizza crust. We used to have pizza on Thursday night at the shop. We would offer the rats and mice some of the crust and they loved it. But the birds, guinea pigs, rabbits and everything else ate it too. They loved pizza night.

Actually, most animals and birds love pizza crust. We used to have pizza on Thursday night at the shop. We would offer the rats and mice some of the crust and they loved it. But the birds, guinea pigs, rabbits and everything else ate it too. They loved pizza night.
That is so. My dogs & parrots like pizza crust. Not the finicky felines.

thats why rats are cool pets and annoying pests
they are small humans in rodent form in both personality and diet
i used to feed mine a small bowl of whatever i was eating to make them feel included
if they were free roaming a sure way to get em to run over to get put back in cage for night was to open a packet of crisps

Most reactions

trending

Back